Find
Notify
Tools

re-nickeling a revolver
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
A buddy of mine is looking to have a M29 re-nickeled. S&W wants over $400 to do it.. (the barrel and cylinder are messed up... all other parts are fine)

Anybody know of anyone that does good work and is a bit more reasonable?

thanks!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I use Craftguard, Waterloo Ia. Electroless Nickel, which is better than the old electro plated type anyway.

Posts: 17185 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does re-nickling effect engraving

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get some quotes and see how they compare with what S & W has quoted. I'd also ask S & W if it's done in house and will the factory letter that it was refinished in house.

De-nickeling shouldn't affect engraving as it is done by reversing the poles around. So the nickel strips off the gun on to the other cathode. At least for old school electric nickelling.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickel - electrolytic - usually electroplated , first with things like copper then with nickel.
nickel - electroless - Actually nickel with some phosphorous . It can be hardened a bit . It also has a dull grey finish.
If you strip plating it should be polished.
Engraving detail may be affected .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...anybody know of anyone that does good work and is a bit more reasonable?...

SLIGHTLY off topic, but why do you expect someone to do this level of work and lose money? What is REASONABLE in your world?? Maybe they pay you for the privilege of working on your gun??

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Hey Mr. slightly off-topic, the man came on and asked a legitimate question to get information to help a friend. Your attack is out of line. How about taking that crap over to the political forum where you would be right at home!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I had Smith and Wesson do a 27 for me about 25 years ago, they did a great job, provided factory documentation and it still looks like new today. I think it will provide better resale than an outside vendor, if that is a consideration. The one I had done is an early 60's manufacture and was originally blue, I love Nickel, so it got a change. It shoots so good, I will never sell it.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Hey Mr. slightly off-topic, the man came on and asked a legitimate question to get information to help a friend. Your attack is out of line. How about taking that crap over to the political forum where you would be right at home!

Thanks Lee... he was easily added to the ignore list. Smiler

but to respond, after many inquiries, EVERYBODY my buddy contacted is more reasonable than S&W.... Most are around half the cost S&W is asking.. Electrtolytic is what was used by the factory and thats what hes looking to get done.

thanks to all who replied.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.apwcogan.com
Accurate Plating and Weaponry is mentioned often on the 1911 website. They are in Alabama.They do several types of metal coating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Value wise, considering resale value, I would think strongly about allowing S&W to do the work with a letter it was not farmed out to some other outfit....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote