New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swap Barrel Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Swap barrel rifles have been around a long time. Nearly all benchrest shooters have multiple barrels for their guns. Some companies such as Blaser have offered specific models with the feature. The Savage action seems to be popular with several folks for this kind of activity.

What experience is there with swap barrel systems using conventional Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Ruger, etc.?

What special needs are there for stocks, scope mounts, scopes, etc.?

Are the benefits real?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy to do, but you will never have the right barrel on it when you need it was my experience and maintaining a zero is somewhat difficult, regardless of some claims...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer
I have Blaser R-93 rifles and like them very much. They have several fine features, but I will only discuss their switch bbl feature. The scope is dedicated to the bbl so there is no rezeroing when you switch bbls. With the Blaser you can also change to different case head sizes by changing the bolt head. A takedown rifle is handier to travel with.
I agree with what Ray is saying about having the wrong bbl on the rifle at the wrong time, the same situatiion can arise if you are hunting with 2 different rifles, except you can have a "gun bearer" on some African hunts. Also it is much easier just to pick between your two rifles as you leave from the Safari car.
Also having a Blaser and two bbls is not the same as having two complete rifles [parts breakage etc].
Having two complete Blasers is a very good idea. For instance a part breaks on your "plains" game rifle, all your DG hunting is done you can put your plains bbl on your other reciever.
One place I see a definate advantage in a Blaser is that since you are limited to two long guns on most flights you could have your Double Rifle for DG and your Blaser as your plains game rifle with an extra bbl in say 375 in case your double breaks.
I take my Blaser to my lease almost every time I go. I usually hunt with one of my doubles, but I take my R-92 with a 308 bbl as a spare deer/pig rifle and a 223 bbl in case I want to do some varmint hunting or need to thin out the turtles on the river.
Also I have a 28ga. bbl for my Blaser which will enable me to shoot grouse, ptarmingin, etc. without carrying an extra shotgun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
To some extent, how successful a switch barrel gun is will depend on the uses for which you have set it up.

I have several switch barrel rifles built on Remington actions. For me they work well, and always have the right barrel on at the right time. That's because of what I expect from them.

One is a Remington with barrels in 6 PPC and .30 PPC. The 6 PPC is for local Varmint matches and local BR matches...both with jacketed bullets. The .30 PPC barrel is for cast bullet benchrest competition and as a loaner to new CB BR shooters I'm trying to "bait & hook" into the game. It must work, as one of them which took the bait has been a U.S. Grand National CBA Champion (1999) since starting the game with that rifle. Another has gone on to set a dozen or so U.S. National Records.

Another of my Rem switch-barrel guns has barrels in .22-250, .257 AI Roberts, 7/08 Rem, and .308 Win. I use the .22-250 for varmints on trips where I'm after P'dogs and things of that size. The .257 AI is my antelope rig, when and if I can get drawn. The 7/08 barrel is just the ticket when shooting Silhouetta Metallica (about minimum that will always put down the 500 meter rams). The .308 is a nice brushy country deer rig.

I know which I'm going to do several weeks in advance and as I go to the range at least once a week, every week, sighting them in for the upcoming trip is not work, it's anticipatory fun. With QD Leupold bases/rings, changing scope configurations is no big chore either if/as required.

Barrels are a lot cheaper than additional actions and stocks, so I can shoot more different stuff on a smaller budget. Using one action also allows more detailed blue-printing and accurizing for less money...both the actions on the rifles just described above have been made concentric and sleeved, for instance. That's something I wouldn't have done if I had needed to sleeve 6 actions (one for each barrel)at $175 each. ($150 for the sleeve, and at least $25 labour each, if farming it out.)

AC

[ 06-28-2003, 01:48: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hammer: I got into switch barrel rifles back when I had more ideas [Roll Eyes] than money. [Frown] I still like to do it and most of my bolt rifles have more than one barrel. Being lefthanded, US (or any other) makers don't always have the caliber I want, or in a particular configuration. You will need a barrel vise. Also and an action wrench for each type of action.

The easiest to switch are the Savages. Not the prettiest, but great when you want some new project to fiddle with. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote