Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 magazine box loose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I just bought a CZ 550 in .375 H&H and noticed a slight metal on metal "ting" sound anytime I would turn the gun over (belly up). The sound is being made by the metal box moving up and down in the magazine well. There seems to be about 1/16" to 1/8" of movement (vertically).

How do I resolve this?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This will sound like I'm being a smartass, but I'm not...put some cartridges in the magazine.

If you want to stop it with an empty magazine, you could put as many layers of thick paper or business cards in either side between the box and wood as needed to wedge it in place.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add...check to make sure the action screws are tight and the action and bottom metal are both seating to full depth.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:
Forgot to add...check to make sure the action screws are tight and the action and bottom metal are both seating to full depth.

Everything is tight....but I will try a few of your suggestions.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I have a customized 550 Mag with the same problem even with a full magazine. It's not a major issue but I do worry about that little bit of a click while stalking. I've looked at everything and not found a problem or a solution and am thinking of replacing the bottom metal.

So ... please let us all know what you find if you find anything. I expect others may also have found a similar issue to more or lesser degrees.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I know the stock on my CZ came a little thick and created a slight gap. I liked it initially as I could get 6 down in the magazine. Someone made a comment about the potential for a round to get stuck in the gap, so I sanded out a little wood on the bottom metal inletting to get everything snugged up. No more rattling.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I tried the business card trick and it seems to work well....