Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Install : Rem 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I'm already thinking about changing the trigger on my Remington 700. Are these mostly drop in or do you recommend I take it to a gunsmith? I dont want one too light or one that does not allow the use of the Safety, but I would like one from 1-4lb adjustable. Maybe Timney?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Timney's are a "drop-in" and quite a good one at that.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also look into a "Rifle Basix".

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday; Remington has one of the best factory trigger (otherwise look rugers factoy triggers) if you will use the gun for hunt, not for competition, Before to put a new one, I will must try to regulated the factory to your desires with a competent Gunsmith, and use that money for ammo or hunt fees. Luck!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be warned--the newer Remington 700s have a newly designed trigger. The safety lever will not transfer to Shilen and other triggers that are designed to use the original 700 parts.
Brownells does offer the parts needed if you happen to have one of the newer type triggers. I've heard about $30 for the parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always spend the extra $100.00 and use a Jewell, hands down beats the Timney and is externally adjustable for pull weight down to 4 ounces. Complete unit is Stainless about a 15 minute install.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
does anyone on here adjust your factory rem 700 trigger? i have done 2, one on my 30-06 thats about 25 years old, and one on my 7mmRM that was purchased in 04. they both have no more creep and break at about 3.5lbs, fine for me for hunting purposes. i'm not sure its recommended by remington, but it was easy to do, just adjust the 2 screws on the front end of the trigger assembly. i never messed with the sear engagement screw.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done three adjustments to Remington Factory triggers. One, a older .280 came out perfect. The other two were so, so. Perceptable creep!
I am looking into having Remington replace the older triggers with their new assembly if possible.
I am able to drop the rifles off at the factory.
If not, I will g oto the Timney as I have had very good luck with it on other rifles.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the good old days (good because I was a lot younger) I adjusted and even rebuilt a lot of Remington triggers. With a lot of patience they can be tuned to be creep and overtravel free and adjusted down to ridiculaous pull weights. By adding a second lever you can get pulls measured in ounces.

But nowadays there are so many good replacements on the market that it is hardly worth the time and effort. As coop said, if it's a hunting rifle, adjust it until it's crisp and leave it alone. Otherwise, buy one of the good ones, like a Jewel. They are like money in the bank, maybe better.

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote