THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Need Ruger M77 (tang safety) steel bottom metal?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need Ruger M77 (tang safety) steel bottom metal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
LA or SA?

I may have a Ruger-made LA left from the old days...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted. I have always wanted to have my Whelan engraved but was stopped by the aluminum. Steel would be a great addition.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was wrong with the Moyer trigger guard I am in need of one bad for one of my 338s.I have 9 of these old Ruger 77s.They are my favorite rifles.I bought one on the internet on gunbroker.com.It was supose to be stainless it was cromed.mseed up stock broken trigger guard,and floor plate all the screws were wrong and sevel other thing wrong.I need a trigger guard to finish fixing it up.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
Its a Long Action...e-mail me if you are interested in selling it... j_schrin@bellsouth.net

Thanks

DGR,
The Moyer parts (floorplate and trigger guard) they sent me were some of the crappiest examples of steel investment casting I have ever seen. The unfinished sides were rougher than you'd expect. The finished sides were wavy and look like a real amatur polished and blued them The edges of the floor plate had several visible casting flaws and voids...it wasn't clean at all. I really can't believe they sell these as poor quality as they appear. Without exaggerating the aluminum originals are 100% more attractive than the Moyer aftermarket parts. It would take quite a bit of skilled milling, sanding and filing to make them look right and you'd probably be better off having a gunsmith mill you some custom bottom metal than to try and use this stuff.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have one!!!! Long action if I'm not mistaken.

I was in a similar situation as you are in now, as I broke the M-77 trigger guard at the forward screw. Called Ruger only to find I was SOOL. I posted on one of the lists looking for a trigger guard and was able to purchase steel set. I might also have an second floorplate kicking around as I put a steel set on my tang safety M-77 338WM

Drop me a PM and I'll start looking for the part.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pm would not work.I am one that needed a trigger guard.I have a bunck of these old rifles.I also found out and easy way to change the safety with factory parts to open the bolt with the safety on.its a .50 part.I have 6 or seven of the old rugers in 338 on in 243.They are my favorite rifle.You should see the crome plated one I have from the internet.Its the one with the broken trigger guard.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote