Find
Notify
Tools

iron sights or peep sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
I am looking for a nicer .22 cal bolt rifle. Possbily a Kimber or Cooper. The problem is that most of the better rifles do not come with sights anymore. several of the less expensive do but I would like a nicer one for my son. Question -- how involved is it to put sights on a gun such as these and can someone give me a ball park of what a smith would charge for the parts and labor. Just a general idea is appreciated.

thanks

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Being somewhat partial to Winchesters, especially the ones made prior to '64, have you ever considered a nice vintage rifle? In a Winchester, a model 52 or sporter 75. Both are bolt actions and although Cooper and Kimbers are nice, I'd take an old Winchester over those anyday. Moreover, almost all the old rifles such as Winchester, Remington, etc., all came with very nice iron sights, in fact, with most being an all steel, Lyman peep sight, with 1/4 minute target adjustment knobs. I know I'm biased, but for the money you are talking about, you could buy a heck of a nice vintage rifle that will shoot just as good as the 2 names you mentioned and you would avoid sending it to a gunsmith or making any modifications. IMHO of course!!

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the new Remington 504's... They look like a model 700 on Atkins. They don't come with sights either but they are a great looking little rifle.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the vintage rifle suggestion - there are so many great shooting wonderful rifles out there. A marlin 39A, a Winchester single shot, and of the Remington 500 series, but if I was to buy new and had to have a bolt rifle (god forbid I should ever buy a bolt rifle) I'd buy a CZ .22 for $189 or so. I think they have barrel sights. Probably the best rifle on the market for the money.

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote