New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistics question for the 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of having my 8mm Mauser guild gun rebored to 9.3x62.

The gun has a full rib and rear sights with a standing and folding leaf.

I see that factory loads are 232g & 286g.

The standard load for the 8mm Mauser is 170g.

In general which cartridge shoots "flatter?

If I convert the gun is it more likely I will have to file down the rear sights or have to put in a taller front sight?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Filing down the rear sights is the same as adding a taller front. You will likely need to shorten the front or make the rear taller.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right, they are the same, I got confused.

So the 9.3mm shoots lower than the 8mm?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Norma
Check the Norma ballistics data. I can't ever seem to access it from home or I'd answer you directly.

I'm converting one too and sent you a PM.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I can't access it either. Comes up as a wrong address.

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The standard load for the 8mm Mauser is 170g.

Your not doing your 8X57 justice by using American 170 grain loads; they are low octane at best. Even using Sellier & Bellot ammunition bumps this caliber up into the 30'06 category, or better in my opinion, with the 196 grain loads. Take a look at thier web page for loadings.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/rifle-ammunition.php

Now that being said, if you need more power than a heavy long bullet equal to the 30'06, then I think the 9.3X62 is a perfect caliber.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote