Find
Notify
Tools

JB Weld "steel"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted
Are there any special provisions for using JB Weld "steel" for bedding a rifle in a wood stock?

I assume that it would work pretty well, and any car or shoe wax would make a good release agent.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You have the idea.....cary on

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB Weld works fine. Use a fresh package. It can be pretty thick at room temp and if you need it to flow better, use a 75-100 watt bulb with reflector to heat the mixture or tubes for a few minutes to make it flow better. It has a good working time so this won't cause it to set too quickly. I use a couple coats of wax for release agent. To avoid voids, paint a thin layer of epoxy on the action in areas of concern before you drop it into the stock.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just get some Devcon Steel Epoxy.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between
Devcon Steel and JB Weld steel?
Both are available in 'two tube' 2oz versions.
Devcon also has a one pound version that needs to be weigh 1:9.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell any difference in the devcon and j-b except j-b is more readily available locally and not as expensive as devcon.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Marine Tex from Brownells mostly..I have not use JB weld to bed with but I have taken it out of stocks and its extremely hard and a lot of work to remove..Heating with a hair dryer makes most bedding easy to remove, not so with JB Weld, it doesn't seem to soften much.

BTW to avoid voids Smiler, hit the wet glass after you put it in the wood with a hair dryer for a few minutes, gives a nice clean bedding job.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote