New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Synthetic stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have painted a few and they come out pretty good. Redneck camo type jobs. I am trying to figure out how to make the pebble finish or spiderweb like HS uses. I want some texture and the color broken. I can find a bunch of enamel pebble paint but I doubt if it would stand up to solvents and hunting abuse. Anyone know of a epoxy bases matte sealer that will keep enamel on the stock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
on my fiberglass stocks I am using a Rustoleum product called Anti-Skid. It is made for floors, steps, handrails etc, and has proven to be very resistant to solvents and even DEET. The finish is textured and works quite well for grip without being too abrasive.

It is available in clear so you can use it as a top coat over your color

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did one with supply's from Lowes. A good plastics primer is a must, apply it after roughing up the stock a bit with sand paper and degreasing it. 2-3 coats of primer. Then follow the directions on the "American Accents" stone textured paint. Afterwards, apply 3 coats of Rustoleum, matte clear coat. Surprisingly durable.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dittoes to what Hunt4Life said. The "stone texture" spray cans work great. The secret is in roughing up the glass finish and applying a primer first. A good clear coat, either glossy or matte (matte looks better) is the key to durability. I know that both American Accents and Krylon make the paints. There are probably other brands as well. Brownells sells a "wrinkle finish" spray that also works and gives a smoother finish but it is a bear to apply and one mistake and you have to start completely over.

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sherwin Williams has a product called Polane T which is similar, if not the same textured finish that many stocks have as O.E..

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I've used the stone texture paint with good results, but it is a bit rough. For a less aggresive texture, I have always used Dupont Chip Guard or Stone Guard. It is used under the paint on the lower body panels. You can get it in a spray can at most auto stores and you can paint it with any paint you like.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote