THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    A question on "push-feed" Model 70 bolt sleeves...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question on "push-feed" Model 70 bolt sleeves...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if someone out there could help enlighten me on this subject.

I remember reading a post sometime back (could not find it) where someone (believe it was Allen Day) touched on variations in bolt sleeves on the post-64 and pre-classic Model 70s.

I seem to recall the comment was to the effect that somewhere in the late 80's or so, Winchester re-designed, or perhaps retro-designed the sleeves, and they were then functionally much better, well maybe just better.

Anyway, I have been thinking about picking up one of these and wondering if there is someway to recognize the "improved" design. Perhaps by production year, serial #, or is there a simple visual method of determining which is which?

Thanks in advance for any comments/input!

Bob

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
The only significant change that has been made since their inception has been the elimination of the screw that locks the firing pin and cocking piece assembly in the event that the firing pin retainer washers broke.
There are many that will argue that this was a mistake, and merely for cutting costs, but the fact of the matter is, it is not necessary.
Winchester opted to use the screw because of the breakage problems that the 03 Springfield was having that was a result of poor heat treating and design. Winchester suffered from similiar problems on their earlier models, but with improved materials, workmanship, and heat treat, the breakage is something of an extinct item.
Due to the fact that the locking screw resides in a plane all it's own on the shroud, it must be put in with a totally separate operation, which increases overall costs. So in short, yes it was a cost cutting feature, but the fact that it wasn't necessary in the first place in still a valid point.

Now to your real question, you can use any newly manufactured bolt shroud on your model 70, or if you don't have an existing model 70, whichever one you decide to pickup will have no bearing one way or the other on the rifle.
As far as quick identification between the two shrouds, the screw will be located on the right hand side of the flange of the shroud for a right-handed rifle,and visa versa for the left. If you don't see the screw going into the side of the shroud, well, you have a newer one. It's that simple.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh Oh! He said the "P" word!

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, the PRE 1964 sleeves will not fit. The thread indexing is off one half a turn.

Most of the post 64 sleeves had a gas cap on the rear of the sleeve. The only one I can think of that does not is the first year M 670 with the side safety.
These did not have the screw to stop the firing pin.
They will be found in a matte finish, the 670's and Sears M 53, or the High Gloss, XTR model.

Winchester did not change the sleeve shape until they reintroduced the Featherwieght. The first few months production of the featherwieghts had the old sleeve. then the newer stlye with the screw and NO GAS CAP appeared.

We sold lots of them, I wish I had kept a 257 Rbts, and a 7x57.

Then after USRA took over they redesigned the shape of the lever. This is the bent dog bone shape they have now.

FYI, the change of the thread indexing in 1964, now matches up with the 1903 Springfield.

Am finishing up some firing pins for the post 64, M70 with the gas cap sleeve.

Jim Wisner
President
Wisner's Inc

Posts: 36 | Location: Adna Washington | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys!

Mr. Wisner-

Coupla more questions if you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit more.

Seeing as you are making new pins to fit gas cap sleeve, I'm assuming you feel that this "cap" is a worth while "upgrade" for the M70. Is this mainly a safety issue in terms of the potential to better control escaping gasses, or their a mechanical function aspect benefit as well. I have heard and or read that the sleeves with the gas caps benefited from having a bit "smoother" safety operation, but really, I don't know if this is true or just imagined.

In your opinion/experience, is there difference in regards to the operation of the safety between the two?

Thanks!

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Bart

The reason I am making the reproduction firing pins simply because USRA will never offer them.

With about 20 years production of M70's, 1963 thru mid 80's.
There is roughly 1 million guns out there where there are NO, or very little, factory parts available, depending on what you are looking for.

Personally I do not like the cap as it adds two parts. Also you can not completely field strip these due to the cap.

Jim Wisner
President
Wisner's Inc

Posts: 36 | Location: Adna Washington | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Now I gotcha on the reason for your producing the parts.

Now that I know you cannot completely strip these bolts with the "caps", I know that I do not want one. I view that attribute as a major advantage with the Model 70s and the like.

BB