New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Function Test - Another Request
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this a couple of days ago in "Medium" rifles and got a couple of good comments, but I'd like a few more, so perhaps this is a better forum for the request.

The issue is a particular malfunction I'm seeing from my Long Action M70 Classic - if I feed cartridges into the magazine by pushing them down slightly forward of the center of the cartridge - around the shoulder - a series of things then happens that completely jams the magazine. The front of the magazine follower goes down, the rear goes up and back, locking itself onto the receiver in front of the bolt. This malf must be cleared by opening the floorplate.

This malf can be duplicated 100% of the time in my rifle without cartridges, by pushing down on the front of the follower.

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to request some of you do a little experiment with your M70. Pull the bolt back fully, push the follower down all the way three different ways:

1. Push the follower in the middle, then release it.

2. Push the follower down from the rear, then release it.

3. Push the follower down from the front, then release it.

Does it return normally to its upright and neutral position in each case? Mine, of course, jams with step #3. Please also let me know whether it's a long or short action and whether it's a current standard, Supergrade, or XTR.

Mine is apprently not the only one that does this, and BCSteve has an possible explanation, but I'd be interested in knowing how widespread the issue is.

Thanks for your help.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three model 70's two pre 64 , models and I CRF circa 1980.

One of the pre 64's I am in the process of having stocked and just finished the metal work. It was converted from a 30-06 to a 280. It needed attention to get it to feed right, I have no idea whether it had the problem when it was a 30-06 as I never chambered a round.

WHat the issue was that the mag well was rough and a little high on the left side of the reciever, just about level with the follower. You you need to depress the follower about 1/2' inch to see the area where is was rubbing.

The fix was to very lightly file the left side of the action and mag by no more than .020. File just enough from this lower rail area to remove any burrs and polish. Very little metal nneded to be removed and the whole purpose was to smooth out the rough area not to remove metal. Don't fiddle with your mag well sheet metal parts, it is the rail right above this union that needs polsihing.

I think if you look carefully you will see a similar situation on your action, the left or right rail is catching the follower slightly and causing your follower to not freely spring up to its highest position.

Its a fairly minor fix but DO NOT get aggressive with a dremel tool as you will ruin your action. Think polishing and smoothing these rail surfaces, not removal of metal. And again leave your sheet metal alone.

One last are to check is the sides of your follower. Are these smoth and polished or are they rough? If the follower is rough on the sides lightly smoothing and polishing this up on a wheel will be benefical.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
schromf is dead on the money...and I have had that exact same problem with other brands of rifles, so it is not something unique to Model 70’s.

IMO, one of the weakest design features of bolt action rifles of this type is the magazine box/follower/spring system and the receiver rails that function as the “top†of the magazine. Most, in order to function properly, always need a bit of tweaking/polishing/de-burring.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote