Notify
Tools

Rechamber a 243 to a ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Well, yeah dpcd, but you're trying to win the argument using logic and that won't work against someone that's still 6-1/2 years old.

I'll have you know I turned 7 last week! Nice guess though. While I enjoy a lively debate, I don't do pissing matches. I know I'm not even close to being the sharpest guy in the room here, but I'm a Bob shooter and I've handloaded at least three times longer than my previously stated age.

Seating out an extra .25" in the Bob gains you an extra 4% case capacity, which should get you about 1% more velocity. The 257 Ackley (in a short action) only gets you about 12% more powder space than standard, which translates to 3% more velocity. A 65k 3" load should easily get 10% more poop than a SAAMI spec load, but, given equal pressures, I don't see one getting 10% more from a 3" even with a fast barrel.

It occurs to me that I've steered completely off topic (i.e. Hijacked the thread and I apologize) so to bring back the poster's topic, here is another thought regarding the 257 Roberts: Since the barrel is only 19", if you do go with a 257 Roberts, you might try a faster twist barrel. With the long heavy bullets speed seems to help accuracy. Even loaded to 3", you are at quite a disadvantage with that short barrel. Pac-Nor makes 8, 9, and 10" twist barrels. This is just a thought, and might just be a hair brained thought. I'd love to here some other folks thoughts on this. Looks like I might end up a toddler before this is all over!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are right, using logic is a bad habit and doe not sway anyone's mind anyway. One thing is true; a 257 max loaded with 120 grain bullets kicks like a 270; I know that is why the 243 is so popular; no recoil. Yes, I fired one once; a Remington 600, when they were new.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 243 is a great varmint rifle.

I shot a lot of deer with mine with no problems.

Kenny

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think so much of the .243 that I would rebarrel or rebore it to a 257 Robts, 250-3000, 7x57, 9.3x62, 30-06, or .308 Win. Hey when get a bigger hole in that barrel, the world will be your oyster! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the bore it out to 358 Win suggestion. It would be different enough to be interesting and capable enough for most any hunting inside of 300 yards.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I like the bore it out to 358 Win suggestion. It would be different enough to be interesting and capable enough for most any hunting inside of 300 yards.

You would need a barrel diameter at the muzzle of at least .558" to rebore to .358. It might be too light for a .358 in any case. A better choice for a rebore might be .260 Remington or 7mm-08.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I like 257, as long as it's in a long action.
coffee It's simple to punch out to 25-06. he he he OH MY. That certainly didn't go quite as planned ! "

That is exactly what I did. Shot a lot of stuff with 257, 243, 6mm, and 250 Savage. This was back back in the lead core bullet days. They all worked about the same. I did ream out my 257 long action pre-64 to 25-06. That does make a bigger mess and reaches out about 50 yard further.

Now I shoot a 35 whelen because they now require lead free bullets around here.

243 is as good a cartridge for small big game as you can find. Ammo is easy to get too.