Notify
Tools

Mauser Question For Jack
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted
Jack,
What would you like to see on the inside dimensions for a properly sized magazine box for a Mauser 98? I'm working with a fellow to possibly have mag boxes made, so I'm curious as to what you would reccomend for feeding the 06 line of cartridges properly. I have a couple to work from, but it's a little speculation at this point. Also, what other sizes would you like to see that is either smaller or larger than the above mentioned?

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Matt--

I use Blackburn's bottom metal and never actually measured it. I've seen Ted testing a milk crate full of one-off protos trying different angles, side reliefs, lenghts, and widths until he cuts one "just right" and makes those dimensions standard. I've always trusted him to do it right and never second guessed him.

The market seems to be in the '06/270/280/short magnum length units. The ones hardest to come by are the original Orbendorf H&H and Kurtz boxes.

Since Ted has all of those, in both style trigger guards, plus the oddball Peruvians, Mexicans, and others, I've never given it much thought.

The very best source for proper boxes and feed rails is my studying the original Orbendorf sporter boxes.

The difference between the feeding of a 1930s commercial Mauser in 30-06 and a 1950 Dutch Police Carbines is noticeable....the bottom of the actions are different so the magazine boxes should be too.

It seems to me the worst problem in custom metal is the difference in action rails. What works with a 1909 straight rail Argentine works less well with a bowed rail VZ-24. For that reason military boxes can't be copied and most commercials can't either.

I sure don't envy you the task of figuring it all out. Thirty five years ago when Blackburn was cutting 40 boxes to try and having 39 of them fail he was a grumpy SOB!!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard go to this site that someone found earlier.

http://www.club.guns.ru/eng/konovalov2.html

It takes all the witchcraft out of the magazine design mystery.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Only a passing suggestion, but from a manufacturing standpoint, and possibly an accuracy one also (I've heard from Ted Blackburn that he could not get a M70 to shoot worth a damn until he trashed his one piece trigger guard/floorplate/magazine box idea and went with the separate box). How about a separate mag box? It would sure as hell make it a lot easier to inlet than the Mauser standard one. Any comments?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Matt,

Only a passing suggestion, but from a manufacturing standpoint, and possibly an accuracy one also (I've heard from Ted Blackburn that he could not get a M70 to shoot worth a damn until he trashed his one piece trigger guard/floorplate/magazine box idea and went with the separate box). How about a separate mag box? It would sure as hell make it a lot easier to inlet than the Mauser standard one. Any comments?

Jim,
That's exactly what I'm intending on doing. The bottom metal would resemble what we are already currently making for the Remingtons and Winchesters. The trick is deciding what internal dimensions of the mag box would be the most appropriate for the cartridge size, and how many variations would be necessary to please the majority of the Mauser 98 customers.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You da man! I really think this is the way to go. I will take the first 3 or 4

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
I was told that the optimal dimension is 1.866 times the diameter of the intended round creates the ideal box internal size. Doing that creates a magazine that is wide enough to require some machining of the action for proper fit in rounds like the .358 STA that don't match the .375 taper.

I didn't do the math on the Russian site, does that correspond to this?