New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid POS Remington 597, cycling problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey guys, have a POS Remington 597, it is out of warranty, and I refuse to pay money to have it fixed, and yet can't in good conscious sell it. So am trying to fix it myself.

Here is the problem, when the action cycles after a shot, the bolt assembly hangs at the rear of the guide rods, then after moving forward very slowly about .75" it snaps shut like it should. Of course you realize the problems this creates in a semi-automatic rifle. I took the whole action apart this weekend and cleaned very thoroughly and lightly lubricated, reassembled and tested Sunday. I am still having the problem and it is horrid.

Now, my thoughts on it, there is a bright spot on the outside (right side) guide rod where it is rubbing hard in one spot, this is new mark as I know I didn't get the rods in EXACTLY the position they were in before disassembly/reassembly. This makes me think that there is either a rough spot on the bolt assembly where it is riding on the rod or things are not lined up just right.

My thought was to take it apart and sand the rods down some and see if that helped the problem. I don't think it is the springs because it does snap shut good once it gets past the hang up area.

All thoughts and recommendations appreciated, anybody else had this problem?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Sorry dudes, really need to get some help on this so bringing to the top.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed the otherday while looking at Jarvis Barrels web site that they did a lot of 597 work you might try contacting them.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dago Red, I've never had one apart, so all this stuff from me will be "speculation".

Did it ever work properly, or did you buy it working like this?

I'm trying to imagine a condition that could create the apparent binding and I'd guess it is due to some kind of Powder/Trash residue that has built up "inside" the Bolt holes that those Guide Rods pass through, just as you originally thought.

Rather than reducing the Guide Rod diameter, I'd soak the Bolt inside those through-holes with a good Powder/Copper remover and give them a scrubbing with a Bore Brush.

What is the actual diameter of the Guide Rods? Surely you can get a Bore Brush close enough to their diameter to scrub the through-holes real well.

After scrubbing, and getting the Bolt all dried off, try this. Push a small jag covered with a "Paper" Patch made from a tough paper towel through that hole, like a Blue Shop Towel. If it "snags", then there is still something in there that needs to be removed. Maybe a burr or maybe still trash in there. Either it can be "lightly reamed out" or the Bolt needs to be replaced.

If the Paper Patch goes through without snagging, go sweet talk your Sweet E. Pie out of an old pair of nylon hose. Pull it through the through-hole and see if it snags. If it doesn't snag, then that hole is "probably" not the problem.

Can you remove the springs and move the bolt back-and-forth by hand to "feel" for binding?

If my "guesses" are off far enough, maybe someone who knows better will jump in.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote