Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 American bedding question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
I have a CZ that just isn't shooting as I expected it to.
I opened up the barrel channel since the barrel was rubbing against one side. Also the bolt handle was touching the stock so I opened that channel to allow it to close fully.
I noticed that the recoil lug is "bedded" in two dabs of epoxy.I am tempted to scrape that out and acryglass the recoil lug and first inch or so of the barrel as well as the tang.
Is this a bad idea with the CZ?
Is this stock pillared at the factory?
Has anyone done any work that they would recommend for accuracy?
It's a 6.5x55 and so far I'm a bit let down, great trigger though.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. When I got the rifle it shot 1.5 inch groups with a homebrew concoction of 162 grain hornady ssts, remington brass, federal primers, 48.3 grains of H414 powder. I wasn't happy with the groups so I used Scorehi glassbed and glassbedded the action area and the first one and one-half inches of the chamber area. The barrel was freefloated. I the groups shrunk drastically. Later, I increased the powder charge to 48.9 grains of powder and seated the bullet .01 inch from the lands. It has turned into a sub-half-minute of angle rig with the best group going .216 inch. It chronos at 2,855 fps. Good luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i also have a cz 550 in 6.5x55. of the eight cz's i own it's the one that wouldn't shoot from the factory. i had it bedded, floated and recrowned(recrowning was probably unnecessary) and it now shoots sub MOA. this bedding issue seems to be a not too uncommon problem with cz's from what i've read on the forums. i'll bet once you get the bedding right, it'll shoot. good luck...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote