Find
Notify
Tools

Rear peep on a Mauser scope base.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Is there a peep sight that fits on a rear scope base of a Mauser (that doesn't interfere with the bolt handle,... etc)

Weaver, Talley or Leupold..

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Are you talking removing the scope and mounting the sight on the scope base?

If not there should be!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4257 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tally makes a peep sight that fits their base, NECG makes a sight that fits Weaver bases.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got an AO (now XS?) peep that fits the dovetail of my Sako L61R, and I like it very much. Not sure if you can get them to fit mount bases - their advertising seems a bit lacking - but I suggest you ask around.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redfield made a base with a flip up peep sight yrs ago. You might be able to locate one on the internet with a search. This was in the '60,s , but it didn't go over very well. It attached on the rear of the base and always stayed in place under the scope.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've drilled and tapped Weaver bases in installed these little flip-up sights for several rifles. At the time, customers were getting them from Numrich, I believe. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3755 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I use a Talley - works fine. I think it was Ed Lapour that used to mill a dovetail on the actual base and re-fit the sliding portion of the Talley directly to the base. The effect will look *sort of* like what DArcy Echols does on his Classics. Of course the height of the scope becomes critical.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
worried about the bolt stem hitting the eyepiece.

this may work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've carried a detachable peep in a trap door butt plate since 1986...and never used it.

But..If I damage the scope, it's a "feel good" back up.

Personally, wouldn't loose sleep about a permanently mounted peep..tough to make it a practical fit anyway

Posts: 3605 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
worried about the bolt stem hitting the eyepiece.

this may work

That looks as though it might protect the disc very well, Rich, but the secondary tunnel vision would be horrendous.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Those do work very well. I had 2 that fit the Ruger M77 base/action. I sold them when my eyesight got worse, but they are a great peep.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warne made them about 25 years ago, it was integral with the rear base.
Part number for the front base is 4912, the rear base with peep is 7041-5 for FN's and 7036-5 for altered M98. You'll need a set of their Premier rings.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The flip up peeps are hard to use on a gun with high comb for scope use. It's a pain it ass having to scrunch down on the stock to use the peep. If you have a rear sight it will be in the way unless it has a fold down blade. I used them for years but now carry a backup scope. If somebody wants one PM me and I'll mail it to you. I found one in my collection of junk. Be prepared to drill and tap for two 2-56 screws or send it out.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My idea is to have a front sight installed.
D&T for a scope.
Carry backup peep that attaches to the rear mount.

Like Duane said. May never use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On top of the mount is a better option with modern guns.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If you are getting bases made, you might be able to fit a Brockman pop up peep. I have one for a Model 70x but getting it to hang off the back of a Mauser base might be tricky due to spacing. I have one packed up else I’d take a pic...

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
When I say attach I mean as a replacement for the scope.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
A rear peep for a Mini-14 can be bought for about $15 from Brownell's. You could find a way to attach quite easily I would think. It also folds when you want it to. Experiment with it and open it from the front with a small taper reamer if you need a ghost ring. Be Well, Packy

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I saw one at a gun show mounted as a rear peep on a 1911 A1. It was neater than socks on a rooster.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The peep I offered has been spoke for.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weaver base.
Redding shotgun sight from Numrich--about $12.
On area of base not used by the rings mill a flat to match the peep portion of the Redding sight.
Drill and tap the base to match the holes in the Redding peep.
Using the screws provided and the peep portion you have a deflection adjustable sight that sits under thge scope and is available with the scope removed.
Front sight used for elevation
If you want a picture message me and I will email.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
another idea.

Since the rifle will have a 2 piece scope mount I could put a sight on the front mount Maybe a weaver mount Burris Fastfire?

at this stage/price a spare scope enters the realm

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
another idea.

Since the rifle will have a 2 piece scope mount I could put a sight on the front mount Maybe a weaver mount Burris Fastfire?

at this stage/price a spare scope enters the realm

Wayne at AHR does this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cadillac solution is the rear scope base made by Brockman in Idaho. The peep is spring loaded and will sit down in a little recess when the scope is mounted. It is also adjustable. Officially, he only makes them for the Win 70 action. But I had him make me a bunch for comml mauser. I think I have one left. Order up thru my site if you want it. I think we even matched it up with a front base also for comml mauser.

Second prize goes to XO (formerly Ashley). Theirs is detachable and fits a weaver-type base. But you have to fit a pretty tall front sight to match.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
The Cadillac solution is the rear scope base made by Brockman in Idaho. The peep is spring loaded and will sit down in a little recess when the scope is mounted. It is also adjustable. Officially, he only makes them for the Win 70 action. But I had him make me a bunch for comml mauser. I think I have one left. Order up thru my site if you want it. I think we even matched it up with a front base also for comml mauser.

Second prize goes to XO (formerly Ashley). Theirs is detachable and fits a weaver-type base. But you have to fit a pretty tall front sight to match.

This is what I referred to above. Did not know Jim would make them for the Mauser. Cool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several of the "Little bow peep" sights that Les Brucks mentions..They work on Redfield, Leupold, Buehler bases..Neat little jobs, drill two tiny holes and screw them in, the peep pops up and down as needed, These are all but impossible to find, very compact, Give me an email if interested..$55.00 ...Can send pictures.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ray thank. I'll email you

I found this pic I took years ago off of G.Beitzingers bench. Tally mod.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Got an 8-64 tap and some imagination?

peep only.

Click on peep sights near the top of the page then for more.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Williams WGRS that fit on the rear ring of my 416 Rem custom Mauser..It was in my junk draw and had no protrusions on either side, was neat as all get out for an iron sighted gun..

Don't recall if I had to fit it but the hole spacing was correct...and I had an extra slide with peep for it as they are interchangeable..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Not cheap, but great looking is the Rigby style.

https://mclaughlincustomfirear...m/rigby-peep-sights/

Get Close and Wack'em Hard