Notify
Tools

Flat Top Checkering
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I've gone through a few stages of appreciation for flattop checkering:

Stage 1: I didn't like it. It was OK on old shotguns but I didn't like the looks of it on a rifle.

Stage 2: I liked it but only on other folk's rifles. After I saw a few nice rifles with flattop checkering, I decided I liked it. It looks better in person than in photos I think.

Stage 3: I liked flattop checkering a lot and I wanted it on my own rifle. It was probably that last pair of rifles mufasa had built that sent me over the edge. They were just gorgeous and the flattop checkering was the perfect complement to the traditional English styling.

Here are a few close-ups of the checkering on my 416. This is all Duane Wiebe's work...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Damn Duane does pretty work!

Again ... nice to see good money spent to achieve such lovely result Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

Gorgeous. Duane is one of the few Americans that does it well.

Know what's hilarious? Quite a few American stockmakers say the British only used flattop because it was cheap and easy! animal animal animal Guess that's why so few can do it.
---------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be the ultimate in cruel irony if the diamonds became pointy as they wore down???

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like unfinished checkering to me... probably much easier to do than regular checkering. I bet a skilled stockmaker could pump that out in about 30 minutes Smiler (Tongue firmly in cheek)

That looks incredible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like unfinished checkering to me... probably much easier to do than regular checkering. I bet a skilled stockmaker could pump that out in about 30 minutes Smiler (Tongue firmly in cheek)

That looks incredible.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Never gave it much thought until seeing the above photos - I like it!!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I have always been a fan of flat top checkering - a job well done. Any chance to see a pic. of the entire gun? --- John303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great ! I don't think it's any easier because the flat tops all have to be the same.

Another use for flat top checkering is on handguns, especially carry guns .It gives you a very firm grip without the problems of catching on or wearing out clothing ! The old S&W M39 with it's coarse sharp checkering was notorious for wearing out clothing.All my pistols have flat top on front and back straps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's just an excuse for Forrest to justify duplicating his entire rifle collection, this time with flat top checkering! Wink

Amazing work, Duane.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That flat top checkering looks very nice. It is incredibly good craftsmanship, great job Duane!! But how is it for gripping? I like nice sharp checkering for grasping with gloves on winter days. Is it all Show and no Go?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it all Show and no Go?

Nope!!!

Those photos are very good, but just don't do justice to the stock or stockwork. If you've got a Wiebe gun...you are shittin in tall cotton.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like nice sharp checkering for grasping with gloves on winter days. Is it all Show and no Go?

It's better.
----------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
If you'll notice, Duane's checkering looks to be 16 or so lpi (maybe less) and the lines are fairly deep. I can definitely feel the checkering. It doesn't grab like fully pointed checkering...how could it.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Would the difference in feel that has been spoken of be the difference in the cutter used. Would the better "feel"be got from a 60 degree cutter at 18 lpi. I am interested because I have two rifles without checkering as yet and I definately like the pics Forest B has posted.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That's really nice, Duane and Forrest. Inspiring! SDH, that is a nice rifle too. I'm working on a similar caplock in the English style but I know it will never look that good.
Duane's checkering looks to be deeper and the flats smaller than the traditional period rifles. Duane's looks like it would provide more traction.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to address a couple observations: Forrest's was done at 16 LPI. The grooves are pretty well like a saw cut...very little taper. The "feel" is not like traditional, but there's a definite texture...not likely to change over the life of the gun unless the grooves become clogged.

Finally as far a being faster to do....well I agree UNLESS you have a "whoops"...depending on the severity, it could mean a spot refinishing...finally any deviation in the groove width shows up clear across the room.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are these done with a checkering head on a rotary tool?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That is some beautiful work.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A power checkering head can be used to LIGHTLY..no more than a scratch..lay out the pattern.

From there, I use a hand made tool with about an 5 degree taper...just enough to keep it from "catching" while deepening... wide grooves look like unfinished point checkering and unless they are fairly deep looks like what it is...just a scratch!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John303.:
Any chance to see a pic. of the entire gun? --- John303.

Hopefully we'll all be seeing photos of the complete rifle really soon. Duane tells me he's about a week away from final assembly. He's finished the bluing now and is working on the leather covered pad. Roger Kehr (scrollcutter) currently has the stock to engrave the initial shield.

quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
But how is it for gripping? I like nice sharp checkering for grasping with gloves on winter days. Is it all Show and no Go?

I like nice sharp checkering too. If I could only have one style or the other, I'd go with point checkering. Wearing gloves, you probably wouldn't like flattop checkering. With bare hands, flattop checkering has plenty of grip for me. This rifle is not likely to see any cold weather use, so I'm not too concerned that I'll drop it.

SDH, thanks for the comparison photos. Tucker's work is just like Tucker himself - all class.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't used to like it, but since seeing pictures like this they look really good. I think there are some guns it would definitely be very fitting on. awesome.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks are great, utility is marginal, difficulty is IMO equal to the pointed type in a slightly different way, requires special bench-made tools for the best effect and can't be easily tweaked to correct an uh-oh. Like a lotta other stuff on custom rifles these days, IMO it's strictly for looks and one-upmanship rather than utility. But it does look good!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.D.Steele I think you nailed it. It does look good; it has to be at least as hard to do as pointed checkering; and it is more for looks than utility.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airgun1, I'm certainly no expert but did my first checkering job in 1963. I've done fancy stuff, my personal 280 Mauser has a 7-panel full wraparound job with fleurs and ribbons @ 24 lpi. Again, limited utility but super braggin' rights!

IMO a good flat-top job such as we've seen here is fully as difficult to accomplish (well) as any of them. Certainly it wouldn't take nearly as long as the fancy patterns but this style demands the very highest level of expertise and concentration. Like I say, I've done fleurs and ribbons but I would hate to tackle a flat-top job unless I wuz feelin' mighty on-top-of-things!

These days I mostly stick to point patterns, usually full wraparound with borders. Lots easier IMO, very traditional and better grip too.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

I really like that treatment and looking forward to more pictures when you have a chance.

Hope all is well.

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim.
It's not my favorite but it was a time saver for Duane and it's all I could afford.

Here's one more detail that will have to tide you over until I get some photos of the finished rifle. This is Scrollcutter's work. Pretty nice huh?

I've never put my name or initials on a rifle before. I guess I'm committed to this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

You two are kill'in me!

Thanks for the fix.

HBH

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
I'd be more than happy to replace the FBB with RLK. Hehe!

Gorgeous rifle...grats!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Actually those initials should be changed to "FRB". Great looking work!

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote