one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You're doing a heck of a job SDH. thumb thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
SDH
Great looking project! I really enjoy seeing work in progress pics. Especially work of your caliber. Hope you get the chance to post some more in progress pics of this one in the future.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sure is nice. The Hagn is definitely the Rolls Royce. Gonna stock next?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Your mod work is appealing, But I could live with a mostly unmodified Hagn.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Show off Big Grin

Oh to have talent! But I don't, so I have to rely on the guys that do...

Was a pleasure to spend a little time with SDH at the ACGG show. He certainly has talent.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am going to ask the Navy for a 5 rank promotion so I can afford to have a dozen rifles built bye Mr Hughes!

Nice stuff!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that action really looks nice and th ework will make a big difference in how the finished rifle looks. How long did the trasition take?

I saw in another thread you prefer the Hagn to the Dakota action-can you just give us a few breif bullet points why they are so good?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH,

Excellent!!!!
I like your lever work. It adds much to the overall looks.
Are you going to do the stock work?

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH

Others here have commented that you have considerable talent, and I would certainly agree with that, and include an artistic eye for what looks nice. But since you are doing a lot of the work by hand, would you not agree that a lot of the success you have in your work is just plain old elbow grease and persaverence?

for example, to polish those large flats. how many different cuts of paper will you use before they are where you want them, and how long will it take you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
elbow grease is maybe 2% of the equation, and perserverance is maybe 5-25% (varies by each person and their tendency to get bored and move to soemthing else or stick it out).

The other 7-73% of the equation is having the gift of knowing what looks good and the know-how and creativity to turn a chunk of steel into a thing of beauty.

I know a lot of hard working people who refuse to quit at anything and their end product makes a CZ rifle look like a true work of art.

In looking at what I just typed on the screen, I think my numbers in the first paragraph are very much on the high side. SDH's work that have seen and held definitely took a lot o fsweat and perserverance, but that had very little to do with how they looked, felt, and performed in the field. His eye and know-how are what really created them

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote