Notify
Tools

243 Win to 6mm-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GBF
posted
For you guys with experience.
Say I have a CZ-550 (a 30-06 lenght action) in 243Win and would like to convert to 6mm-06, what is involved ? Would it be feasible in terms of effort vs ballistical gain ?

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
GBF,

6X62 Frères is what you are looking for clap

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Patronen/6mm-Patronen.html#6x62-Frères

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon that stupid mag box set up they use with the .308 length rounds will muck you up.

They should have just used the regular floor plate design they have on there 30/06's etc.

I returned a cz 550 22/250 due to that magbox, I doubt you can use it as they have milled away all the rails and utilise the mag box lips for feeding, the rails are nearly back to the side action walls with no "cartridge shape at all".

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GBF--I am a big time 6/06 fan been using one for years. It is a superb long range chuck/yote/lope and deer gun. (we've also used it a bit for bruin and elk)

I've been around a few of them and here is the types of speed one can expect. I use a 25" tube if yours is shorter or longer then add/sub 30 fps per inch.

55 Noz=4400
70 Noz=4000
95 Noz=3500

Good luck and let me know if you need any addtional help.

All you need is a smith with a reamer, if you need help with that let me know also. You'll also need to sort out the mag box thing as well.

I'd say get after it,, it is one heck of a super round.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 06 based case will not clean up the 243 chamber. The 6mm-284 will. I think that there are loads for it in Sierra 5 but I don't have that manual with me.

What bullet do you want to shoot in a 6mm-06 with the existing barrel?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage--yeah you can punch a 243 to a 6/06 no problem. It's been done b4 with no problems.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're rechambering what you have you'll be setting bbl. shoulder forward a bunch. Like the man said, 6-284, or possibly 6mm Rem Ackley'll clean it up.(correct me if I'm wrong). Also, depending on bbl. taper, if you set your bbl. back that far you could have safety issues with the chamber forward (neck) end too far into the taper. (not enough metal). Not to mention that your bbl. will now not fit your bbl. channel correctly. Think about rebarreling. Then you can have it all.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I did a 6mm/06 Ackley and had to set the barrel back a tiny bit. Burns lots of powder but it is so nice to see the 87 grainers hit a coyote at high speed.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Johan said 6x62 Freres clean a 243 chamber as it's bit large on the base than a '06 case , if start with a new barrel I suggest the use of 1-8/9 inches twist to have good accuracy with the bullets of the 6mm Norma BR 105 + grains

DM

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a little more efficient round and gives up nothing to the 6/06 is the 6mm Rem A/I.....

If it is on a long action, I have a 6mm Rem on a long action and it will show substantial gains over a 243.....

I have seen a few guys with 6/06s and they were not getting anything better than my 6mm Remington was getting for velocity but they were running thru more powder to do so....

A 6mm can not be made by boring out a 243, but an Ackley Improved 6mm Rem can....

Good luck with the project...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire-you make a good case for the 6 AI the 243 AI is another good one, but I've personally never bought into the whole efficiency gig..but that is just me....grins

Aside from your 6 and the speeds I've seen you post about getting I've yet to find a 6 rem that will stay with a 6/06. You do have a quick one that is for sure. But of the 6's I've seen and the 6/06's I've seen there is a fair difference in the speeds they'll run. At least in my experience there has been.

Either round is excellent and one heck of a good way to go.

MD

Never the less the 6 is one fine round and we wore out more than one tube shooting chucks and such with one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You are really missing something when you dismiss the efficiency. Lets say you use 4 grains less powder to get the results. Now that is 4/7000 = .0005714 pounds less powder and at $18, that comes to $.01 per round, so with 20 rounds you almost have a quarter. If the barrel lasts 3000 rounds, you have 30 bucks to buy some more powder. It is the little things. If you had gone the efficiency route, you might be driving a Hummer right now.

Give Bozeman a hug for me.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the barrel will have to be set back about 3/16"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Thanks for good answers !
Mark and Seafire, PMs sent.

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic-hope life is god in your camp! It couldn't be better in Bozo for me. I am in Real Estate now and just loving life.

It is so...good to be out of retail and the gun biz!

Yeah, I'll put that $ towards my H3 fund, one of the guyz in the office just got one and I may have to replace my old F150...grins

Adios

MD

JKobe--I am still shooting that 338/300 WSM you assembled for that buddy of mine (Paul Thomas). That is one shooting machine!!! I call it "FAT BASTARD"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The re-chamber will not be the problem it will be the rifle & action "on that model of gun" that may lead to problems.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote