Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstock Blank Suppliers -- Black Walnut
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
What are the best suppliers of black walnut and Claro walnut. If possible can you include their web site and or contact information?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Read above I changes this a bit.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.dressels.com/

I’ve bought three really nice blanks from them in the last year and their wood is really dry and very stable. They are great people and have a very liberal inspection/return/swap policy.

I’m sure there are others out there but Paul and Sharon are among the best in IMO.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always gotten good value from Preslik's.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cskay13/

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have contact both of them about wood and I will be seeing if they have a piece that catches my eye.

Who else?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
http://www.gobywalnut.com/

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to contact Goby about some wood. I love the looks of their "Western" black walnut. Iheard that he is very busy and might take some time to get back to me. I have only e-mailed and faxed information. I did not call yet.

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Cecil Fredi - blankscf@cox.net , Tel 702-382-8470. He has a huge selection of Black Walnut.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Cecil does have a large inventory of black. There was a recent purchase from him that was in excess of $20,000.00 - All black walnut.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cecil Fredi - blankscf@cox.net , Tel 702-382-8470. He has a huge selection of Black Walnut

I made contact with Cecil yesterday and he has sent some very nice pictures of blanks at very reasonible prices. I am still interested in any more suppliers that you can recommend, but I am looking forward to seeing more of Cecil's blanks he has to offer.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cecil Fredi

Don't suppose that he has a web site?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
Cecil Fredi

He does. http://www.gunstockblanks.com/

But it does not show his current inventory per se.

I have bought an english blank from him that I love and which I thought was rather underpriced.

In carving it, I discovered a rather large hidden knot and he offered to buy the blank back but I kept it anyway. Good guy.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
Cecil Fredi

Whatever happened to my first post?

His site is : http://www.gunstockblanks.com/

But it does not contain his inventory per se.

I bought some english from him for a very nice price in my opinion. He offered to buy it back when I discovered a knot that was totally hiddent in the original piece, but I decided to keep it.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought lots of wood from Cecil, good guy, honest with good prices. Dressel's are good too, a tad more pricey.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am working with both to find the right stock. there are a few other dealers I am waiting for information too.

I might just be in the mood for an English stock after cutting up the last of the wood from another local walnut tree.

The tree was a typical English with Claro root stock. The Claro had gone to burl and the English was well down into the burl portion. Some of the 2-piece blanks that I cut have both English and Claro within. When I planed the wood, I was amazed at the difference between the two woods. The English was fine textured and butter smooth. the Claro, well not really so.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I might just be in the mood for an English stock after cutting up the last of the wood from another local walnut tree.

I know foro your other posts you favor a reddish blank that is going to be be tough to find in English. Not impossible I would add is just about everyting is possible under the teses ol stars and sun as they say, but your going to need to look.

One item I will throw up in English Walnut is if your a fan of good checkering ( I am ) English is one of the best woods for checkering. Sharp clean lines, and durable are typical traits. Dressels is definately a source, I think their a tad pricey, they do have some good blanks though.

I just went through hunting down a blank a few months back, it took me a lot longer to find what I wanted than I originally figured, it took me months. In my case they showed up in pairs and I found two at the same time, Lady Luck interviened I guess.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
www.wattswalnut.com

They only deal in semi-fancy and up grades of American black walnut...their prices are very good! I have a 2 piece set and Rusty has bought a couple of blanks from them that are extremely nice. thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have been dealing with Watts, but they were out of blanks and we was waiting for more.