THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighter Model 70 trigger spring-sources?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AR Colleagues

I have been working on the trigger on my Model 70 (a 7mm-08 Compact, late manufacture Winchester, great little deer gun) trying to get it to something more manageable in the 3.0 to 3.5 pound range (now aat 5.2 pounds) and have run across a problem that I have not seen in the previous 7 or 8 other Model 70 triggers I adjusted. Taking the weight down as low as I can with the nut adjustments I can only get to about 4.5 pounds on my Lyman trigger pull scale. With other triggers I have carefully removed a half a coil of the spring or so to get the weight down. I did the same with this trigger but still not able to go lower and still pretty creepy plus the spring does not now keep tension on the trigger which of course is not the safest condition I believe. I was wondering if anyone makes a spring for the trigger that would be of the same length but lighter in force. I remember reading of someone using the spring from a ball point pen but am a bit leery since they are very light weight in construction.

My fall back plan is to the rifle off to Mark Penrod who has done another Model 70 for me (one of my best triggers by far) but that will only end up being a lot more expensive since I will while it is in the shop I’ll have to have it rebarreled, pillar bedded, blueprinted, new stock etc Smiler

Any help provided is appreciated,

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Putting a lighter spring is not the correct way to lighten the trigger pull on a M70. It's not safe either. I'd suggest you send it to Mr Penrod and get it done right the first time. The M70 trigger done right is the best there is for a hunting weight trigger.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
The M70 trigger done right is the best there is for a hunting weight trigger.

Amen.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'll be corrected if someone thinks I'm wrong but, the Model 70 trigger is also one of the easiest to adjust. The trick is to make sure the engagement the trigger and sear is no less than .006" and no more than .008" with a reverse rake on the sear so that the sear won't drag on the trigger after it breaks. The contact points should also be polished to a very smooth finish and the acute angle on the trigger contact point should made sharp and then slightly "broken" with a ceramic or smooth stone. The engagement also has to be parallel/square to be safe. Once this has been done weight of pull and overtravel are easily adjusted to where you really don't feel the overtravel and the weight is in the 2.5-3.5 lb range.
IF you don't feel you have the mechanical skills to do this, send it to Mr. Penrod.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod Has done 5 Model 70 for me
That is the only way to obtain a light & SAFE trigger pull. Mark is a super guy to work with.