THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Stock replacement for a M700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock replacement for a M700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
I have to replace the stock of my model 700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle in 7 Rem Mag... Not living in the USA, I cannot choice the most suitable & desirable option by myself - but rather from what I am offered by the sellers´ understandings and availability... so far I have been offered three alternatives: either a Bell & Carlson Carbelite, a Bell & Carlson Mountain Rifle Remington Model 700 Stock or a Boyds´ JRS laminate... which would be your choice and why?

Any other reccomendation would be much appreciated, being my budget something around 200 / 250 USD

Thank you all in advance

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a Bell & Carlson. I bought one from one of their distributors and it was defective. I called to get my money back or an exchange for a new one. I had to pay to ship their junk back to them. They (Bell & Carlson) shipped me another one. It was defective too. I have pictures to prove it. I tried to talk to someone in management, but I was told "that ain't happening". It took a long time before I finally got a refund. I had to pay shipping to send back their second defective stock also. I finally bought one direct from Remington. In hind sight I wish I would have bought another brand.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
B&C is pretty much JUNK! Not worth the effort OR the money. thumbdown

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to say that I have several B&C stocks and have had no problems or issues. The most recent is a Remington Ti in a short action. I also have several Boyds laminates and can tell you they are heavey and needed a lot of work to get to fit. Hope this helps..

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you or your dealer can order it, here is a new synthetic Remington 700 BDL Magnum stock for $75. I'd think it would work.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/Disp...&CatID=4331&mySort=1

Another one for $125:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/Disp...&CatID=4332&mySort=1

And a whole laundry list of others in your price range:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/prod..._new.asp?CatID=11940

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the original stock is from McMillan. They list it on their website here: http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmil....php?subnav=branch2d

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the originals were McMillan, but I have seen at least one old model that was made by Brown Precision. I have been told that at least some of the current ones use stocks other than McMillan (probably B&C).

McMillan does still have the mold, but they will not sell any KS stock to anyone except Remington. None of the current patterns is close to the KS stock.

Take off KS stocks show up occasionally on forum classifieds and Gunbroker. Some have checkering and some don't.