New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anshutz rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a client with two Anshutz rifles, one a 22 mag the other a 222. He wants to rebarrel both. How do the barrels attach. How are they removed. I read in a previous thread they are pressed on. Any help here? I have not done one before.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
Jim, they are shrink fitted with a cross pin,I'm not a gunsmith,but I know such a fit is not easy to remove.Maybe the simplest way is to turn-out the barrel in a lathe,not touching the receiver,so you can re-shrinkfit a new barrel.
Do'nt know howmuch shrink you need.I believe 2/1000 of an inch....

Hugh.

<JOHAN>
posted
I recomend that you take a look at Dr Geoffery Kolbe's web site www.border-barrels.com

There are detailed instructions about changing barrel on Anschutz rimfires, and what tools is needed.

Good Luck
/ JOHAN

[ 08-18-2002, 22:38: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<JBelk>
posted
Drive out the pins (most are tapered), heat the receiver and drive the barrel out the front.

The receivers are round so it's easy to thread them and screw the new barrel in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not checked, but is there enough material for a re-thread? 16 TPI or finer?

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Jim---

I did eight of the Anshultz M-154 22s for a summer camp that had shot dirt dauber nest out of them....makes a mess. I forget the dia. of the thread I came up with but it was 24 TPI.

You know the trick of starting the thread from an internal necking cut by using an upsidedown tool on the back side, but I'll describe it for those that don't.

Make the necking cut round to get away from the thin-shelled M-98 failures (caused by stress risers) and run the lead screw backwards to feed the tool OUT, towards the tail stock. The tool has to be upside down and cutting on the back of the diameter, not the front.

It does take some set-up but nothing complicated. The advantages are the ability to thread at three times the speed (threads slick enough to lick) and no danger of expensive noises when tool hit bottom. [Smile]