Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel advice/suggestion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Several years ago I purchased a Sako M995 chambered in 7.21 Lazzeroni Firebird. I have enjoyed the cartridge over the years but brass now is single source and around $4 each. In the future I would like to rebarrel the rifle to something a little more economical and with more available brass. The bolt face is same as 338 lapua. Any suggestions?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 883 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Bolt face is .585 which makes it the same as a .416 Rigby.

Many of the newer successful cartridges are based on a .404 Jeffery case with a small .540 bolt face or thereabouts.

So the first thing is you will either need to have your bolt modified--and I'm no expert there and it might be worth it just to purchase a new bolt body.

The barrel and chamber are academic after that. You might need to have the ejector and feed rails altered to insure reliable feeding but that's pretty routine for a good bolt action gunsmith. Sako used to sell TRG bolts and bolt bodies but they are now showing discontinued at Midwest Gun Works.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep; first thing I would do is bush the bolt face back to something more realistic; I did one yesterday on a Rem that had the extractor lip cracked.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I will check out the PTG bolts. I do know the bolt seems exceptionally long.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 883 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You were too quick; I don't think PTG has Sako bolts; they have Howa, Rem, Win, Nosler.
And yes, your bolt is long; same as the TRG-42; I doubt you will find another bolt.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Yep looked also at Midwest Gunworks and also shows them discontinued. May have to stay with something that matches up to the current bolt face or just buy some more brass and live with it. I don’t shoot it a lot, just don’t want to be at the point where cannot get brass for it. I haven’t looked but I am sure someone does a 7mm-338 lapua or 30-338 lapua.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Any wildcat can be built; you just the to pay for the reamer and custom dies.
Or sell it and buy something you want.
Or have the bolt face altered.

One of Us
Picture of RJohnson
posted Hide Post
Just re barrel to a 300 Norma. My main elk rifle is a 300 Norma, I shoot 210gr Noslers at 3150fps. Lapua brass is readily available and Berger factory ammo is loaded with Lapua brass too.

Posts: 68 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 14 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Ok that sounds reasonable. I didn’t realize the 300 Norma used the same bolt face as what I currently have.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
338Norma magnum or 338Lapua. You could always use the money that would be spent on a rebarrel job and buy a lifetime supply of fresh brass.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are still at the $4 brass price; gaining nothing in the process. True; just bite the proverbial bullet, now.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Solid advice

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
Picture of RJohnson
posted Hide Post
300 Norma Lapua brass is $1.80 each
Box of 20 factory Berger ammo is $80 loaded with Lapua brass and Berger 215/230gr. So you can buy premium loaded ammo for $4 a piece...

Posts: 68 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 14 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone give me a list of calibers that will have the same bolt face as a .223 Rem~? I'm looking to rebarrel one of my rifles.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
223 list is rather obvious and can be found on the internet with a simple google search.

I will add a ctg you wont find on these lists: a 256 Win Mag Rimless. In fact, the brass is made from shortened 223 or 222.

Of course that's not much different in practice than a 25 Copperhead (222 necked up). But good luck finding the reamer.

Another one you won't find on the lists is a 19 Badger. That's because, in theory, that case head (30 carbine) is smaller but in practice it's not so much smaller that it won't work. Again, good luck finding the reamer. That guy in MT that promotes this ctg has the reamer of course, but he is adept at making a $200 job into a $400 job.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I'm looking for a larger caliber like a 6mmPPC, or whatever they call a .223 necked up to 6mm.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
interesting list: your 223 to 6mm is 6mmx45

https://www.northwestfirearms....d-cartridges.253255/

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote