New
Find
Notify
Tools

TOP QUALITY gunsmiths locations...
 Login/Join

<David Boren>
posted
Looking for some good gunsmiths, ones I can really trust, and ones that wont charge me an arm and a leg. I live in northwestern Montana. Any gunsmiths from about Butte or Bozeman westward would be nice. Any in northeastern Idaho would work too, although Id prefer to stay in Montana to avoid sales-tax.

<David Boren>
posted
Main service Im looking for in squaring the action. Now a quick question about squaring the action. In a Remington M700 action, does the two locking lugs from the bolt engage the barrel or the action? If I were to get my action squared now, and tehn replaced my barrel down teh road. Would I have to get my action squared again?

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Shouldn't be any sales tax to square your action, your only paying for labor. I would want to keep it in Montana anyway though just because I would rather support a Montanan.

Squaring your action now and rebarreling later should not be a problem. But I would think it would be less expensive in the long run to have it squared and rebarrelled at the same time (hours of labor).

Good Luck, MM

<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://www.montanarifleman.com/

Here is a reputable gunsmith in Kalispell. They have an extensive list of services and prices.

MM

<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://www.pac-nor.com/

Pac-Nor is not in Montana, but still in your part of the world.

One of the best shops in the country.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Montana Rifleman. Brian does outstanding work.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There seem to be more great gunsmiths and custom riflemakers in Montana than just about anywhere else except possibly Arizona, at least on a per capita basis.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
I know about quite a few custom rifle makers and/or barrel makers in Montana. Namely Lilja Barrels and Cooper Arms. Ok thanks for the gunsmiths guys.

<sure-shot>
posted
Truman Wilson
200, HWY 348
Delta, CO 81416
970-874-3030

Not exactly in your neck of the woods but he is excellent. Does alot of work for Sierra Bullet's reloading staff. sure-shot

<David Boren>
posted
Thanks guys, you dont know how much of a help this really was. See I am thinking about putting a 26 inch #6 contour Fluted Stainless Lilja barrel on my 300. For accuracy's sake. Try really get all the accuracy I can get out of my rifle. And well, I dont think Lilja offers a rebarreling service, so I needed someone I could trust to rebarrel my rifle. Thaks again guys.

<RussT>
posted
Dennis Olson is in Plains MT. He's quite good not expensive and does a bit of work with Lilja.

one of us
posted Hide Post
David- I have used 2 smiths quite a bit.
Here they are.

Arnold at Captitol Sports in Helena (443-2978) he's done a few jobs for me and I've always been happy. He did a Lilja on a G33/40 for me last fall in 270 that is a incrdibly accurate tube. (he's done other work for me as well)

Dan Dowling of Palisades Co has done -lordy a ton of tubes for me. Great guy! Great Work! Not a Montanan but nonetheless my number 1 pick for hanging a tube. 970-434-0525

Good luck

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
Hey RussT; you from around Plains? I mean this is great, it seems everyone on this forum is from Montana.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, there is a hot bed of good gunsmiths in Montana as said, and particularly Kalispell.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
David Boren, the bolt lugs engage inside the receiver, NOT inside the barrel!!

<RussT>
posted
David
Nope, Carmen, Idaho.

<David Boren>
posted
Well, thanx again guys. And RussT, how did you hear of Dennis Olson if you live all the way over in Idaho? Just wonderin.

<hsp223>
posted
What is it with Kalispell? Everywhere I turn lately there is a gun company or individual that has a product or servise that I would like to have and they are located in Kalispell. My father-in-law drives out west and inadvertaintly goes through Kalispell, finds a gunshop, a couple of antique shotguns later and he wants to retire there. I am also into Swiss Schmit-Rubin rifles and low and behold the guy that runs Swissrifles.com is from Kalispell. MontanaRifleman is there and some people that have businesses related to guns are also there. It must be a true mecca of sorts and a really nice place to live. I've got to get out there.

<Phil R>
posted
David,
We're not all from Montana BUT, if not, we have friends in Montana! I'll be out in a few weeks for some bear hunting with Dennis Dumont from Libby. Great country!!!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI