New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing a feed problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This started out as a problem with getting a third round down into the mag box. After talking to Duane about a possible "coffin" type floorplate I came up with the following and was originally a PM to Duane.

Posted 27 May 2010 08:40
Don't know if you remember or not, my request due to the client's request to get at least three down in a rebarreled m70 classic to 375 Ruger. It came back after another guy gave me the part number of the folower and spring he was using and I tried that. Didn't work. The damn mag box, as you suggested, is too narrow. I bit the bullet and cut the front of the box, added about 3/16 and welded it up, Had to open up the bottom of the receiver and the stock to match and with a little tweaking of the existing rails and the new spring and old follower, she feeds like the proverbial "snake through a sewer pipe". And, it will now hold four down.

Thanks, just had to have the balls to open up the receiver.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: You da man ....... As good as it gets. I know this from my experiences in dealing with you.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That's what separates the men from the boy's.

But also having the forethought to think through what you are doing as to not ruin the receiver. Good deal

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Since my M70 in 338WM is not where I can get it out and look at it right now, based on memory, doesn't the cartridges basically feed off the lips of the sheet metal magazine box rather than the action side rails?

As I was reading your post about success in getting it to feed, congratulations BTW, I was comparing actions in my mind. I've read some critisism of the CZ for example having a seperate sheet metal box for a magazine, and thus the "need" for a custom unit that resembles the one piece Mauser unit. I'm just wondering why the CZ is critised for the sheet metal box, when at least it feeds off the action rails, and the M70 feeds off the sheet metal box lips, which seems to be perfectly fine with gunsmiths, and others?

Also, I was thinking about the Ruger receiver, comparing it to a M70. About a month ago, I didn't know that the barrel threads for the M70 push feed and the R77 are the same. Lo and behold. Also, about the same time, I learned that the Ruger and the M70 both don't have the "ring" of a Mauser (C or H) for the barrel to seat upon. Instead the barrel seats against the face of the receiver, as I remember. And the CZ seats just like a Mauser, because the CZ has a C-ring inside the breech.

Some time ago, I tried the Ruger 375 cartridges in a Ruger MKII receiver, which was barreled in 300WM, just to see how they fit and fed. They didn't feed as well as the 300WM, but fed ok. I can't remember if there was trouble getting three down. Then I found out that the factory parts, particulatly the box and follower, are available from Ruger. So, that should be an easy conversion, or of course the factory Ruger is available reasonably.

Anyway, congratulations on "making it feed", especially getting four down. I'm sure your customer appreciates it. I surely appreciated it when I discovered my M70 in 375H&H would hold four down, when my gunsmith returned it to me. While he was bedding in the McMillan stock, and some other work, he took the liberty (and charged me for it too) of changing the follower and the spring. The box was not changed. I don't know where that follower came from, but it ain't Winchester, nor is the spring - it's missing the hump. He had ground off the edges of the follower to make it fit and move freely, and it's thinner than the original, so it doesn't ride up against the bottom of the bolt so tight with an empty magazine. Anyway, that 375H&H is sure a sweet feeding cartridge, especially in that action.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Or for that matter why a lot of Gunsmiths and gun owners (I'm generalizing here with a very broad stroke) Believe that the Ruger action is little more then junk that can not be built to produce decent accuracy. And that to get Great accuracy you need a Rem action.

Just doesn't make sense to me since if you are building a rifle wouldn't you blue print the action first and make corrections as needed to attain the highest degree of accuracy you desire???

No actions is junk some just require more work then they are worth.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I got pissed with my Rugers, because I discovered that on some of them, the firing pin strike isn't centered on the primer. It's a long story. I felt disgusted, and considered selling them all. But then I started figuring out which one to list first. I couldn't do it. Roll Eyes Except that I did sell a stainless 30-06 that I now wish I had not sold, because after I sold it I discovered that I have a 9.3x62 stainless PacNor barrel taken off a Win 70 push feed that just screws into a Ruger receiver just great.

After thinking about it, I decided so what - the primer strike isn't centered, as it generally is with my CZs for example? I have three simi-custom rifles built on Ruger MKII actions. Each action was trued up before installing the barrel, lapping and squaring, and surely the custom barrels help. So the primer strike still is not perfectly centered even on the rebarreled Rugers, but that fact does not appear to have any effect on accuracy, or function, so now I just ignore it. The Rugers I have with custom barrels are very accurate, which makes the factory barreled Rugers look bad, and frankly boreing. As a result of that, I regard any Ruger rifle a donar action.

IMO, Ruger 77 MKIIs are not junk, instead they are too easy. That's why I think some gunsmiths don't like them.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think most clients don't like them because they don't look like a mauser, especially the ugly dog leg bolt handle.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I think most clients don't like them because they don't look like a mauser, especially the ugly dog leg bolt handle.

Funny thing is, I have more requests to have that funny dogleg handle welded on than any other. Personally, I hate it, but then again, if I can't give my customers what they want, what good am I to them?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I like those classic style bolt handles on the Mausers, etc., but that's mostly style, and maybe in some cases to help avoid getting whacked in the knuckles with a hard kicker. I never had that trouble with the bolt handle, but I get whacked in the knuckle by the back of the trigger guard.

The bolt handle on a Ruger is one of its great features, dog-leg or not. IMO, a guy is wasting his money messing with changing it, since it generally universally works. Saves money to put on a quality barrel, and maybe a trigger.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

A lot of guys are into style, and will spend the money to get it. It's not all about being practical to them, which is OK.

A lot of guys, especially for competition or long range, put accuracy at the top priority, which is why the Rem 700 is popular. The thing that gets me a little is, for top accuracy, the 700 has to be really worked over, and there are several excellent 700 type clones now, which are ready to barrel out of the box. Seems a little hypocritical and a bit foolish to spend a bunch on a blue printed 700 yugo, when for about the same money one could have a Rolex.
KB

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I have a freind that owns a M77 MK II safari (African) what ever. It was originally chambered in 375 HnH and is now a .505 Gibbs That rifle now has over $5K in it. and it's still a Ruger... Like that's a bad thing or something

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Well, IMO one would have to try pretty hard to get that much in a Ruger. But, chit, there's guys that put that much in a phuckin Argentine 1909 custom. That's a classic good money after bad. I don't see how that can be a good thing. Big Grin

KB

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
My 1891 Argentine will cost me near a grand when done. I'm rebuilding it only because it was the first rifle I bought.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Well, IMO one would have to try pretty hard to get that much in a Ruger. But, chit, there's guys that put that much in a phuckin Argentine 1909 custom. That's a classic good money after bad. I don't see how that can be a good thing. Big Grin

KB

Your are really asking for a fight!
popcorn

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Your are really asking for a fight!
popcorn

Yea. fishing trolling Big Grin Go ahead, make my day, amuse me with your $5,000 1909. dancing

And I'll show you pictures of three nice Sakos, and a Browning Medalion you could have had instead of that set-back POS.

KB

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea. trolling Go ahead, make my day, amuse me with your $5,000 1909.

And I'll show you pictures of three nice Sakos, and a Browning Medalion you could have had instead of that set-back POS.

I would never begin to argue that for a simply funcioning hunting rifle you don't need to spend more than a few hundred$. These rifles would be plenty accurate. Past that you are going for what you feel is beauty, class, history, resale, and any number of other reasons you have for spending the $$$ it is in my opinion way past a functioning hunting rifle.

To me the Ruger falls in the same bucket as a MKX. Heck even the FN. Darn good actions. They can be made into great rifles. They will simply never carry the resale and appeal of an older Mauser action. It's not about function simply market desire and demand.

Why is one old car a classic the other the same age a simple used car. Such is life.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Yes, real eyebrows, classic and classy, very nice. Smiler tu2 Superlative, Knowledgeable, Erudite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erudition

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone really give a $hit about my original post, or did you just want me to comment of the viability of the Rugers?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

As I was reading your post about success in getting it to feed, congratulations BTW, I was comparing actions...........

Anyway, congratulations on "making it feed", especially getting four down. I'm sure your customer appreciates it.
KB

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Did anyone really give a $hit about my original post, or did you just want me to comment of the viability of the Rugers?
Jim

I certainly did !!! Smiler
Comment on Rugers, or whatever you want. However, a discussion on the "viability" of Rugers would be a short topic, IMO. Wink

Then, maybe not, I like definition 3 c (1) & (2):

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/viability

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/RGR
KB