New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem. to .458 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a M70 classic in 7mm that I'm considering having rebarelled to .458 Winchester. Would the rails have to be opened up to get that cartridge to feed?
Thanks,
John

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't The 7mag is basically a necked down 458

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It MAY require tweeks to feed correctly, but the gunsmith doing the barreling won't know until he gets the chambered barrel fitted.

Although the 7m/m RM and the .458 WM use the same basic brass, the formed cases and their bullets are both significantly different in shape.

That means the cartridges of the two MAY need different feed ramp shapes in order to feed well. As there is basically no shoulder on the .458 WM, the fronts of the rails MAY also need to be slightly opened too.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I had this very conversion done recently on a stainless G17xxx series action and my 'smith used the newer SC mag box and follower and it feeds and functions like corn through a goose without touching the rails or feed ramp. The box has the relief "windows" in both sidewalls of the mag box and the follower is machined aluminum. It's a perfect stack for three .458WinMags.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Model 70s don't have cartridge specific feed rails; all feeding is controlled by the magazine box lips. Most of them work on many different ammo types. I think there are only 3 or 4 variations of them. Boxes. Basically, you should be able to stuff and feed as is going from a 7 to a 458.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
That's what i was hoping to hear.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
It MAY require tweeks to feed correctly, but the gunsmith doing the barreling won't know until he gets the chambered barrel fitted.

I disagree. The 458 can be fed into the 7mm mag chamber to test feeding. Of course the bolt can't be closed, but that is unnecessary for the testing of feeding.

Just remove the firing pin assembly, then load the magazine with 458s(or better yet, use 458 dummies) and work the bolt back and forth just enough to get the cartridges into the chamber and onto the boltface. That will tell you if it feed feed and eject 458s without tweaking.

This was what I did with my 7mmRM Mark-X before having it rebarreled to 458. Feeding was slick before and after.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote