New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun stock question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what other types of wood can be used for stocks besides walnut maple and beach?

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive seen some really nice mesquite...bead-blasted with glass beads to open the grain up, the polyurethaned with a satin finish....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long time back I stocked a .257R M93 Mauser in teak. It was glass bedded and finished in Linspeed oil. It had a great "feel" and was consistantly accurate. I'd do it again if I could get the wood.

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can scare up an old Herter's catalogue. The pictures of wood were beautiful.

There are dozens. Teak if you don't mind the weight. Rosewood if you can find a big piece and don't mind the oil. Hard to finish I understand.

Cost has driven things up to where the plastics are more cost effective. Or at least as cost effective. If you can find a wood merchant, Used to be Bishop or Fajen, they can advise you as to what is readily available and within your budget. The synthetics are awful easy. luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mahogany and Teak. The only down side is they are a bit porous and require a "good" sealer.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Bubinga, I think Colt Saurs were stocked in it for the BIG bores.

I have an old issue of American Rifleman, A guy had about 50 rifles all stocked in different wood. One was even cross grain Redwood.

Rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iwas offered some ash ,bubinga,and mahogany.never made my own stocks befor but was thinking winter project

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Cherry wood can make a nice stock. Here is n example of cherry used on a lever gun. It was cut from the crotch of a log that was cut & left on a power line for 3 years.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cherry wood can make a nice stock. Here is n example of cherry used on a lever gun. It was cut from the crotch of a log that was cut & left on a power line for 3 years.

Now thats a real cherry!!! Wink
Nice find...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow she's beautiful Big Grin