THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    My 3 rifle stocking project for the kids. (Pic Heavy)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 3 rifle stocking project for the kids. (Pic Heavy)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am beginning the process of having 3 Ruger Mannlicher Stocked Stainless rifles built for my 3 children. I will keep this thread going if there is any interest until completion.

These are the factory rifles that will be re-stocked in presentation grade walnut for the project.

The first is a Ruger 10/22 SS Birch for Carli...........

The second is a Ruger M77 MKII SS in 257 Roberts for Cade. This is the rifle that got it all started. It's a decent piece of wood but I want these to be exceptional.

The third is a Ruger SS #1 in 35 Whelen for Bo........This isn't the rifle but is a representation.......I am negotiating for the rifle now.

I have located an outstanding gunsmith and stock maker in Mr Chris K'nerr of www.riflerestorer.com to do the work. I am now searching for the blanks and wood(pun intended) like some input. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me so I really want these rifles to turn out well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The blanks that I will be choosing from are below.

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I like the last three blanks best. Should be a nice set of rifles when you're done.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.........

I am thinking this right now. What do you think? It's tough making this decision because hopefully these things will be in the family for many years to come.

2129 - Carli's 10/22

2137 - Cade's 257R

2126 - Bo's 35 Whelen

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a shame, but folks here on AR don't get too excited about:

1. Ruger customization
2. Stainless steel coupled with wood stocks

Now, change that to three mausers, ask what calibers they should be, what wood should go with what, and ask about extras and goodies, and you would have 100 replies by now.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I like 2129a,2129b,2126b, with 2129a being the best looking to me. I happen to really like that color and grain structure. My last custom 257 Mdl70 is stocked with a similar piece.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like # 2137A ,2126A # 1 has nice ribbon and fiddle back .

Wood is a personal thing an no matter how good a picture may allow wood to appear , seeing first hand touchy feeley is paramount .

I'm sure the Stock maker is the First and at the very least second person to consult when choosing your masterpieces .

BOL They should be Marvelous !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,
Nice wood don't forget to inquire as to how long they have been dry. They re going to be beautiful.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Can I send you my adoption papers?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since good rifle stock blanks are so hard to come by, and expensive, I'd look for a two piece stock blank for the #1. You can get a better piece of wood for less money that way and save the long blank for something else.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful project. I am a fan of wood with fiddle back but I have to admit that the feathers in numbers 500, 350, and 450 are attractive. I like 2137 also for the grain flow and contrast. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote