Find
Notify
Tools

Small ring 98 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mauser experts, please:

Which small ring 98s have large threads and which have small? Even if a small ring has large threads, would it be suitable for low pressure rounds? Specifically the .257 Roberts....

And, can a small ring, small thread 98 be chambered to the same high pressure rounds as a large ring 98, given physical dimension differences?

Thanks, again....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
You could use any round in it, if you underload it to the point where it is a "low-pressure" round. The .257 Roberts is a "low-pressure" round only by SAAMI standards! For some unknown reason, the .257 has always been underloaded by U.S. factories. This is a mystery, since the {b].257 ROBERTS HAS NEVER BEEN CHAMBERED IN ANY WEAK-ACTION RIFLES!! Using the same case as the 6mm Remington, there's no reason for it to be considered a "low-pressure round" !

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I believe there is ONE small ring, large thread... that *I*, myself, wouldn't put a 250 savage on.

I have the mexican small rings, in the following calibers... 257, 708, 308, 358 (well, the 308 rebarreled to 358) 376 steyr and 458 winmag.

It is my firm understanding that, for the most part, the small ring 98's are world class actions, and can handle just about anything you can stuff in them.

as for the 257 roberts, it's correct it was never chambered by a factory in a weak action, but PLENTY of 91 and 96 actions have been setup with this round. I, myself, won't use 2 lug MAUSERs for anything but lowpressure rounds, though loads of them have been made into high presure rounds... I believe kimber made 308's off them... and I had a 91 in 308...

Ah, well... the "small ring" weakness myth is only accurate on NON 98 mausers, and the one smallring/large thread. The mexicans, in my experience, are gerat for anything you can put in them

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kar 98 is the small ring/large thread rifle that most folks shy away from. The fact that it also of WWI-vintage metallurgy does not add to its appeal.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

KurtC,

Does the WWI vintage metallurgy thats used on these SR large thread mausers differ any than the technique used on the 1908 Brazil and the 1909 Argentine actions made during this time frame ?
I realize there is less mass in the SR but the 1908/1909 are considered top of the line.
Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kar 98 should have the same casehardening as the 1908/09. Assuming there is no damage to the action, they are fine for standard pressure cartridges based on the 8x57 case.

If you are rechambering to a larger or more powerful cartridge, it is best to use an action made in the 1930's in Germany or 1924 and later in Czechoslovakia.

The main attraction of the 1909 is the hinged floorplate, the action itself is not necessarily the best available.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Kurt, what is your opinion on a Gewehr 98 large ring manufactured in 1917 metallurgically speaking ?

Regards

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same as the others. It will be casehardened, so assuming it is in nice shape it is fine for its original or similar chamberings.

There are a lot of variables with the early 98's. Such as which plant made it, is it military or commercial, how many rounds have been thru it, what was the original chambering, has it been tampered with, etc...

If I were going to invest a good deal of $$$ in a large bore or high pressure custom rifle, I would look for a mid-1930's Oberndorf or Brno. The Brno's can go a little later, as their plant was not bombed during WWII.

I put away two of the Brno 98 actions that EAA was importing a few years back. You can still find them in .270 or .30-06 for around $200. Most of the work has already been done to them.