New
Find
Notify
Tools

Express sight loose in island
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had my 10.75 rust blued and now I can move the sight with finger pressure in the island dove tail. How can I remedy this? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have set the express sight slide upside side down with the blades removed in my milling machine vise an cut a round pocket into the center of underside flat of the sight usually with a .500 or .625 End Mill. The depth will depend on the express sight slide thickness. I then turned a piece of Delrin on the lathe and epoxy or super glue the snug fitting delrin plug into the pocket while the sight is still in the mill vise. The next morning I machine the Delrin plug to what ever is required to allow the sight to be adjusted for windage but held firmly in place. If the express sight slide is to thin then put the pocket into the sight base attached to the barrel, same set up as above. This works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DArcy. Fitting the plug to the island will be the way I go. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending how loose it is, there's another "down n dirty" method...starting at the large end of the dovetail, put in a couple center punches...then move over and put in 3-4..then a row of 5-6...rough guide..if it doesn't work, you can always go back to DArcy's more sophisticated fix...or a set screw

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I had some stainless .010 shim stock that I formed into the dovetail. If this home remedy fails, I will try the techniques described above. Thanks again for the help. Bob