New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 trigger adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was curious how light my trigger would possibly go. I tried it without the trigger spring (that little one that you pre-load to adjust pull weight). Without any resistance from the spring, the pull weight was 2.5 lb. With the spring installed, I adjusted to 3.75 lb. I figure that the little spring performs a trigger return function, so adjusting it to contribute no pull weight seemed stupid.

I don't have any interest in a very, very light trigger on my 375, but I am curious how one gets much a lighter trigger pull on a Model 70. I'm using a factory trigger and sear presently.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Those weights seem very high to me. I have done numerous 70's and many have light pulls where appropiate to the rifles purpose.

The easiest "trigger job" is to clean a guns sear and rub in moly on the surfaces. It does miracles with some guns although M 70's have very good ones in my experiance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
M-70 triggers will adjust at about 3.5 lbs at the minimum....To lighten you must hone the little flat surface of the trigger..a very touchy hone job...

Some smiths have a jig and a ruby stone on the mill to make a smooth cut that is very precise and you can get a fantastic trigger pull, down to about 2 lbs. You can also hone the sear square to the world and thats not for amatuers either....the m-70 trigger is one of the best of all time.

Trigger work is hard to get done these days because of the legal ramifications and it doesn't pay a smith enough to risk it...

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
HenryC470,

The M-70 trigger is not a complicated on. They noirmally will adjust to about 4 pounds. Changing the spring is a simple task and will allow a much lower weight. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Search around here for the last few months and you ought to come up with Jack Belk's adjustment instructions. There's definitely a limit to how low you can go without stoning. On my rifle that limit is about 4.5 lbs., unfortunately.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote