Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.284 twist
 Login/Join

posted
I'm thinking about rebarreling a T3 Sporter to a .284 Winchester. I would like some suggestions on what twist I should order. I was planing on shooting 180 grain Bergers

Posts: 12 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 30 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go any slower than 1:8" in a 7mm with heavy pills, you may even want a faster twist than this to be absolutely sure.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, 1:8 for the 180 Berger.

Berger has a twist calculator on their website as well.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I recommend 1-10" as a versatile choice.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Joe Ponto has some Harts and Kreigers in stock in Spruce Grove in 6.5 caliber Ian. They will be 1 in 8 twist.

This is his inventory and price list.

http://www.rpsinternational.co...ctLTDrev0%202016.pdf

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rod, I'm looking for 7 mm and I think I'll be ordering from KS Arms once I decide on the twist

Posts: 12 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 30 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/8" twist

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Sorensen:
Rod, I'm looking for 7 mm and I think I'll be ordering from KS Arms once I decide on the twist

OOPS! My bad. End of the day. My reader thingy was asleep. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot both 8.5 & 9" twist barrels in my 1K BR rifles. .284 Shehanes shooting 180 Bergers @ 2860 fps

Both twist rates work well for my shooting. Highest I've been is Reno, NV @ ~4000'

-Rick

Unbiased AR-15 / BAT / Barnard / Borden / Marsh / Kelbly's / Remington / Ruger/ Ultra Light Arms / Savage owner. I like 'em all.

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
2860. Wow. How long is your barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with 180's in a 9 twist barrel, but 8 might get you a slightly better bc. If you shoot low and cold, 8 is probably safer.