New
Find
Notify
Tools

TURNING A BARREL DOWN (CONTOUR)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
THERE IS A CUSTOM .308 IN OUR STORE THAT WILL DRIVE TACKS BUILT ON A 700 ACTION MCMILLAN STOCK HART BARREL IT WILL ONE HOLE HORNADY CUSTOM AND I WANT IT BUT I BET IT WEIGHS 12 POUNDS IT HAS AT LEAST AN 8,9, CONTOUR BARREL CAN A REPUTABLE GUNSMITH TURN THE BARREL DOWN WITHOUT AFFECTING THE ACCURACY THANKS

<Big Stick>
posted
Most certainly...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to drive a tack with it. I would use a hammer; it is much more accurate. Seriously, It can be done by a regular guy, but is a pain in the ass and would cost you more to get a new barrel on it.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
You have zero gaurunty that the gun will still shoot, as you are changing the harmonics and stresses. My light rifle (376) weighs 10, and my 500 10.75... 12lbs aint bad.

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Crow>
posted
I asked the same thing on the BR board, all said that it wouldn't hurt a thing if done correctly, which is s-l-o-w-l-y...........a bit at a time.

It does involve a lot of lathe time.

R

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Fats,

Here is a quick way to find out what you need to know. Anyone who say's he can turn it down without affecting it's "original" accuracy, have him guarantee it in writing...

Malm