Find
Notify
Tools

Changing a Shotgun's Stock Cast
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
When I was stationed in England about 15 years ago, I had a local gunsmith reverse the cast on my Browning Citori from its original cast for a righthanded shooter to lefthanded. I don't know how he did it but it really helped get the gun to point naturally for me. Now I've got another Citori and would like to fix this one. How is it done?

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two ways to do it and they both involve heat...usually a heat lamp or hot oil. Stock is placed in a fiture that can apply pressure and then heated and pressure applied. Even the best of stockmakers will occasionally break one, mostly from an unseen weakness in the wood, so there is some risk.

There is a local 'smith who does a lot of custom shotgun stocks and works on everything from Rem 870s up to the high-dollar European guns. He's bent several stocks for me and I've been completely satisfied. His name is Joe Shiozaki and his phone number is (626) 334-2563 and his shop is in Azusa, CA. It's tough to catch him much past Noon-time ...open Monday thru Friday.
Give him a call and discuss what you want done as he's a wizard with wood.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
toomany tools---

I know how to do it with hot oil and surgical tubing, but have no idea how to do it when there's a through bolt through the stock. I can see doing it from a blank by drilling the blank off center, but an existing stock---- Don't know.