New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 norma mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is intailed in fitting a .308 Norma Mag into a cz550 standard length (30-06) action and rebarrel in Douglas supreme? Is it even probable?

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not terribly familiar with the cz mentioned but what you're asking about is a very common "sporterization" to 1917 Enfields of the same starting caliber. I don't recall the OAL of each but you may even be able to get by without alteration to the magazine box.

That's what comes to mind at the moment.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be much of a problem. Open the bolt face to magnum diameter, fit and chamber the barrel. Adjust magazine box/follower/extractor to feed as required. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldamort,
The 308 Norma Mag is almost identical to the 30-338 wildcat which I shoot. It should fit any standard length Mauser style action; however, why would you move to a 308 Norma? It is no more effective that the 300 Win Mag which is a standard offering in the CZ 550 Safari/Magnum.

If I were going to rebarrel a 550 standard action, I would go with a 30-338 before going with an essentially obsolete cartridge like the 308 Norma. The 30-338 merely requires running a 338 case through the die and necking it down to 308 caliber. Further, as nice as the CZ's are, and I have one, if I were going to rebarrel a rifle, I'd see if I couldn't get Walt Sherman (850 878 9563) or some other 'smith to make me a 30-338 on a good surplus mauser action. I think you'd end up with more for your investment. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
The Norma is almost the same as the 300 Winchester, almost but not the same case, so the chances should be about the same, if I was you I would rather go with the 300 Win magnum

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ku-Dude, I know of a guy here in Wenatchee who has 3-300/338's and the first one was made before Winchester came out with the .300 win mag and that was a logical wildcat. I am wondering what advantage this round gives over any of the .300 magnums. I can not see why one would have a rifle chambered in that when the factory rounds are present.

The main problem I usually look at is resale and the dwindling market when you have to involve first a reloader and then one that likes that cartridge.

BTW, the .300 Norma is far from obselete, it just isn't very popular in the US, the same is not the case in Europe.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't argue the points about resale or shooting factory ammo but I will say that I feel the 308 Norma is a better choice than the 300 Win due to it's significantly longer neck. I think this leads to an inherently more accurate round.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The .308 Norma is no better than the .30/.338, but I still have a set of .308 Norma dies (and at least 40 rounds of ammo remaining), so I would build the .308 Norma.