New
Find
Notify
Tools

checkering help please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im checkering a varmit stock for a friend. Ive checkered as a hobby for several years but never worked on a stock with palm swell. man are they a bite to keep straight. any suggestions. Ive read kenndy's book but no real answers? Im using a MMC power tool and follow up with hand tools. Thanks elton

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elton,

I know a very special gentleman who uses label-making tape to keep his lines parallel. Seems to work well for him. You may have heard or read of him. His last name is Lind.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that was mentioned in Monty Kennedys book will give it a try. Elton

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The MMC tool is the culprit in doing over palm swells....for me. I know from experience. The way to get over it is to use an outside guide such as pin-striping tape or as at Fajen a grid drawn on the stock to keep things straight. The MMC tool will "slide up or down" going over the hump. You can also use Dembart two/three line spacing tools to go over the hump. Just a suggestion.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On all non flat surfaces, you have to decide if you want straight OR paralell lines.
On a curved surface, both at the same time is not possible.
My advice is to make a guideline over the top of the palmswell, and Work towards the sides.That would result in the least visible curve on the lines.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
Elton,

I know a very special gentleman who uses label-making tape to keep his lines parallel. Seems to work well for him. You may have heard or read of him. His last name is Lind.

Luck,

Stephen

Is that tape very stiff? I've been using 1/4" auto detail tape for layout and keeping lines straight and it helps, but it can still curve if I'm not careful laying it down. Thanks!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They even make those dymo labelers anymore? Might have to go to the antique shop to find tape.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote