New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No 1 experts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently picked up a nice used Ruger No 1-S in .300 Win mag. Scoped it last night and took it to the range this morning. After getting it on target, I shot two nice tight three-shot groups under one inch at 100 yards with Remington factory 180 grain ammo. This is better than I expected. As I shot, I also ran into a few unexpected flyers, which would land several inches from the group. It's possible that it's just me getting used to the rifle, but it might be the rifle too.

I understand that there are some gunsmiths who really know how to accurize these single shot rifles, but I don't know who they are. Anyone here know of a Ruger Number One expert? Thanks, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Free float the forend before you spend money on it. That may fix it. Keep in mind however that factory barrels that have been straightened may move the point of impact when shot hot.

Here John Lewis seems to be an expert at #1's and I am sure there are many others. I just sold my #1 S in 300 WM so maybe you have mine? That one would shoot one MOA also and the load I used was the 180 Corelokts!

Shoot it some more free floated. Mine needed a trigger job as it was a late one. That's a good reason to send one to a smith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John Lewis
Carolina Precision Rifles
803-837-2069
He worked miracles with my #1.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do alot of work on the Ruger #1 in fact I build alot of custom rifles on these actions. You can free float the barrel and that will help some. However drilling out the forearm hanger for a tention screw will make a very big difference. Also for the best groups always rest the forearm the same way. These rifles are sensitive to pressure on the forearm this is where the tention screw comes in and floating the barrel.
If you need some work done or info on what can be done call or Email me. 207-938-3595 or Email theworkshop@tds.net
With a little tweaking and a good load these rifles can shoot one hole groups, good luck and have fun shooting

Your Friend
Jud

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
To free float a #1 don't cut any wood away! Just find a plastic faucet washer and drill a hole in it a little larger than the stock screw. Then whittle down the washer to fit between the hangar and the stock.

There is a "Hicks Accurizer" that puts tension on the barrel from the hangar as the smith above mentions. One could just drill and tap a hole and put a screw in to do the same thing.

There is a good discussion at Real Guns. com but I can't find the URL just now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - this rifle obviously has potential. I'd be real happy with consistent sub MOA groups. Ecstatic even... Just want to eliminate those flyers. Thanks again for the good info! Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Good hunting with the No. 1!! I have been using them since 1968! Love 'em!! [Big Grin]