New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-Mauser Mag Box Length and Caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a Charles Daly Mini-Mauser on the way but won't have it in hand for a while to measure. What length cartridge will the magazine accommodate? It is a Model 85 and should have a standard .473 bolt face. It will be my 8 yr old daughter's first deer rifle and I want to start thinking about suitable calibers. I'd like to have 30-30 energy levels or better. I hand load and wildcats are not out of the question. Off the top of my head, I think if a .300 Savage would fit, that may be optimal. Load down to 30-30 (or less) to start with and raise to near .308 Win levels as she can handle it. Tons of excellent bullets from 115 gr to 150 gr. If that is too long then maybe a .30 BR or something on a necked up 250 savage. Open to suggestions as soon as I know the mag length.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All calibers are 58.3mm(2.295 in) according to Zastava.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=244

Maybe a 6mmBR or 30 BR? A smaller bolt face could use 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, PPC cartridges, or 6.8 SPC.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the chamberings shown for the M85 use a .473" bolt face.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
7mm br.

Mini

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Interesting, because I have a picture of th box the action was shipped in from the factory and it says cal. 22-250, which has a .473 diameter head.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
7mm br.

Mini

Looks like a BR based case it shall be.

Rich,
That's a nice bottom metal in your link, what compelled you to have it done? The stock floorplate seems pretty servicable. 7BR is definitely doable, though I was thinking .30 BR because I have an extra 13 twist Kreiger Palma barrel to donate to the project. As a .308win, that barrel shoots groups half the size of your picture so I would have high hopes for it. How does the BR case feed from the mag? Any mods required?
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May be that the chamberings listed are the current offerings, the 22-250 (and others) may have been discontinued.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
greg

I haven't touched the rails and it feed just OK. Gotta finesse the bolt a little. That was my first target at 100 yds with the handloads.

Rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm BR or 30 BR would be great, but you might also consider the 6.5 BR. That would still have enough knock-down power for deer and would be very light kicking for little kid. A nice thing about the 7mm BR is that brass is available.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I'm currently building a 6.8 SPC. Barnes makes a 85gr. triple shock. Factory loading for that bullet is 2900 out of a 16" bbl. 3+1 in the a shortened box.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Zastava site shows both 22-250 chambering and 12.2mm (0.480) bolt face.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I also believe the 6.8 SPC is a natural for the mini-Mauser action. It will be a superb Deer rifle.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct John. I built one off a 7.62x39 and rechambered it to 270x39 Improved. Same as a 270PPC. It is a very accurate cartridge and virtually no recoil.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when my son was a bit younger and smaller i built a 6.8 spc on a left handed mini mauser for him. made a nice light rifle fully capable of killing deer. the ammo fit the mag box and it fed well with minimal work.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I was thinking it would make a dandy little walking around rifle for the hills around where I live.

Now then, if I can just muster enough gumption to do a little walking around. Hehe

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 BR YEAH!!!!

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcp:
quote:

The Zastava site shows both 22-250 chambering and 12.2mm (0.480) bolt face.

Bruce

Missed it, bigger than shit! homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I'm currently building a 6.8 SPC. Barnes makes a 85gr. triple shock. Factory loading for that bullet is 2900 out of a 16" bbl. 3+1 in the a shortened box.

I would have done a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel if it had the smaller bolt face, but I think the 30 BR makes the most sense for what I have. I've got a great 30 cal barrel already and I can load it down or up as needed. Tons of hunting bullets that will work in the right velocity ranges too. I really think that practicing with cast bullets and light loads will help as well.

Any suggestions for barrel length? In the interest of keeping it light and keeping the muzzle blast out farther, I was thinking 19-20" and about .550" at the muzzle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Grandson's 30BR is 22" and is a 16 twist barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Left-Handed Mini-Mauser (Zastava) in .22-250 Remington.

The 20" pencil thin barrel not only < than accurate but heats up to scalding hot after 3 shots and the muzzle blast is a real Wake-Up Call in the current chambering. Net, not particularly practical the way it is.

As a reloader; the way the action & magazine are set up for cartridge OAL - is; well, let's call it "inflexible". There's just no play for seating bullets other than short.

I'm positive any good Gunsmith could open it up a touch/tad for a 250 Savage or even a 300 Savage but that would require a new or modified magazine as it is currently too short.

It's been sitting in the Dark Realms of the Gun Safe awaiting another destiny .....

quote:
I also believe the 6.8 SPC is a natural for the mini-Mauser action. It will be a superb Deer rifle.

The .473" bolt face is gonna have to be re-worked but I'm pretty sure it's gonna, like others above have noted; get a re-birth in 6.8 SPC - like richj's above with a similar Fluted barrel and @ 22" - ought to be about right IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote