New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 ackley improved cost
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could someone tell me the average price of having a 22-250 changed over to a 22-250 ackley improved? I have a new barrel for my remington 700 vs and I was wondering on the average what it would cost to have the new barrel recut and installed on my gun. Thank!!

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the barrel and all you want is to have it fitted to your action, headspaced and crowned, my price is $145.00 plus return shipping. If you need the action trued, the Sako extractor installed, trigger job and the barrel blued or bead blasted, it is extra.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
You are asking for a menu style reply to this question. I charge about $140.00 to set the barrel back 1 complete turn and rechamber it for the Ackley Improved version using the factory throat, providing fired cases plus return shipping. Dies will vary in price and Huntington (RCBS Custom Shop) usually has these dies ready to ship and they match most standard improved reamers used. Depending on your intended purpose, If you wish to specify different tolerances for the chamber and throat, then this is custom work and I quote this separate and usually off list.

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably misunderstood your request. If you just want your barrel rechambered it is about $25 bucks less ($120) than what I quoted you and that includes setting it back one turn and re-chambering to the new 22-250 ackley cartridge. The other price was for a new barrel blank and the associated work. Sorry about that if I was wrong.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.I Just don't know anything about built guns and the cost of having work like this done.I am still not sure about whether or not to change it to ackley.I just got a good deal on a new 1in 14 twist barrel and I was thinking if I was going to do this now would be a good time.What the advantages and disadvantages of going to ackley and what is the cost of the dies? Thanks for all the info.

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Advantage: Longer case life, 7-14 percent increase in velocity, still able to use factory 22-250 in case you lose your hand loads, and... oh yeah, having to handload.

Disadvantage: None

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
To me the only problem I see is the 1-14. How much faster do you want the 55g bullet to go? If you had a 1-12 or faster I could see doing it to get the speed back up but this is just my .02.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote