Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Profile
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
HELP

I'm thinking of building a new rifle but can't decide what profile i should choose?

The rifle shall have a McMillan stock, Swarovski 3-12X50 scope and a Remington action. The two candidates are contour 4 or 5 from shilen. Lenght 26 inches. I have acess to select match grade in both contours.
The rifle will be reamed in an 7mm magnum cartridge. As a complete rig it shall not weight to much, not over 10 lbs. Preferably 9 lbs.

All opinions are welcome.
/ JOHAN

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Johan,

For the weight you're aiming for, go with a # 5.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67276 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
SAEED
Thanks for the advise.
I can't think straight any longer. I guess i have to pull straw about the barrel # or let the gunsmith make the pick.

Wich barrel do you use on your rifles for normal hunting. What should be your choise on a rifle for mountains and huting in the Alps, Scottish Highlands, but be heavy enough to hold still when you cap dances Chacha.
What is the weight of the average modern boltaction without the barrel?

I have an Mcmillan signature action wich might go in to service instead of the "Remmy"
Do you think this rifle will make it under the 9 pound?

/JOHAN

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 05-20-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A #4 is plenty stiff for a hunting rifle and will give you a 9 to 9.5 lb. rifle normally but if you want a 10 plus go to the #5, You can't go wrong either way..I would get a #4 for hunting in that caliber....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41944 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Johan,

My 375/404 have a #5 barrel, and weigh about 9 pounds with a 2.5-8 Leupold scope installed.

As Ray has said, if you want a lighter rifle, a #4 would be just the ticket.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67276 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote