New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 870 help needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my son has an older 870 12 ga that refuses to eject fired cases and when he finally does get one out it takes such force that the rim of the hull is "gouged". so i took it home and looked at it and the hook in the bolt has very spring action left. but...he said he has been lubing it recently and letting it soak. i can pull it back and it stays "open" until i touch it then it half ass snaps back. took my 870 out and the ejector pops right back into place when i let go after pulling it back w/my finger tip. so i gotta assume its problem found. if so, how hard would it be to replace it myself? i have some basic gunsmith tools but really don't wanna get involved in this. is it an expensive fix to farm out? if my descriptive terms leave too much to be desired i'll try again. thanks!

Posts: 1537 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The extractor is not hard to replace, but can be tricky. Type in 870 extractor replace in Utube there is a lot of information. some good some not so. Parts are available here www.gunpartscorp.com

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could just be rusty or dirty before ordering anew one take the old one out and clean it spring and hole.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If the cartridge rim is damaged it sounds more like cases are sticking in the chamber, with the extractor hook ripping over the rim, check and clean the chamber.

Extracting and ejecting are different things. Failing to pull a case from the chamber is an extraction problem caused by a dirty chamber or fouled extractor, broken extractor spring or damaged extractor hook.

Failure to throw a case out of the action once it is extracted from the chamber is an ejector fault, the 870 has a spring loaded ejector riveted along the left side of the action so again can be a broken spring, fouled up or broken ejector.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since another 870 is available try using the barrel off the one with no problems on the problem gun. if the extraction problems persist then you have ruled out a bad chamber in the problem child. I would just replace the extractor, spring and plunger after cleaning the recess and be done with it.

Posts: 979 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
switching bbls was an option he and i discussed and will be done later today. as per my advice last month he swears he wrapped fine steel wool around a cleaning brush and cleaned out the chamber until it shined. will check that also today. thanks for the replies.

Posts: 1537 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with my bbl on his gun a quick hard pull/jerk gets the bolt fully open but the hull stays in gun. a medium steady pull and bolt stops about halfway back with extractor still over rim of hull. his chamber looks pretty good. i'm gonna go over it again BUT still looks like extractor as culprit? or?

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
with my bbl on his gun a quick hard pull/jerk gets the bolt fully open but the hull stays in gun. a medium steady pull and bolt stops about halfway back with extractor still over rim of hull. his chamber looks pretty good. i'm gonna go over it again BUT still looks like extractor as culprit? or?

Extractor is doing it's job if it is pulling the case from the chamber and is still holding the case on the bolt face, sounds like a broken or gummed up ejector which impinges on the case head opposite to the extractor when the bolt is fully rearwards and flicks the case clear of the action.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gun. a medium steady pull and bolt stops about halfway back with extractor still over rim of hull. his cha

At the Remington Service Center where I work we see a good bit of this. Usually the extractor and spring are not the problem. But can be. We replace if necessary. The chamber is then polished with 600 grit silicon carbide paper until the chamber shines. We use a split metal dowel machined to accept about three wraps of paper backed with cleaning patches to a tight fit. This is spun dry, then with oil with an electric drill motor. The chamber finish is the culprit in a vast majority of cases.

You also need to look at the chamber mouth. If there is a bright spot peened at the 3 o'clock position you likely need to do a heading cut. That will remove the metal that has been moved into the rim recess and allow easier lockup and unlock. The heading cut has to be done with a special piloted reamer available thru Brownells. But, you could just ship it to us and we can turn it around in as little as 2 business days. Contact Remington to see if it is still under warranty.

Bob

Southland Gun Works
1228 Harry Byrd Hwy
Darlington, SC 29532

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
gun. a medium steady pull and bolt stops about halfway back with extractor still over rim of hull. his cha

At the Remington Service Center where I work we see a good bit of this. Usually the extractor and spring are not the problem. But can be. We replace if necessary. The chamber is then polished with 600 grit silicon carbide paper until the chamber shines. We use a split metal dowel machined to accept about three wraps of paper backed with cleaning patches to a tight fit. This is spun dry, then with oil with an electric drill motor. The chamber finish is the culprit in a vast majority of cases.

You also need to look at the chamber mouth. If there is a bright spot peened at the 3 o'clock position you likely need to do a heading cut. That will remove the metal that has been moved into the rim recess and allow easier lockup and unlock. The heading cut has to be done with a special piloted reamer available thru Brownells. But, you could just ship it to us and we can turn it around in as little as 2 business days. Contact Remington to see if it is still under warranty.

Bob

Southland Gun Works
1228 Harry Byrd Hwy
Darlington, SC 29532

If a medium steady pull has the case half out of the chamber it is not likely a chamber problem but with the bolt stopping halfway and only travelling fully rearward with a quick hard pull/jerk it sounds like the ejector is broken or stuck and impinging on the bolt as well as not ejecting the case.

A faulty extractor would have no effect on opening the bolt, it just wouldn't pull the case from the chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Not to change the subject, but here is a tool I made in 1965 to check chambers for swelling, length of chambers, measure length of Throat, and checking the choke to determine if is as marked.

I have found shotguns with swelled chambers. This was one of the best tools to use and it can measure the chokes diameter by setting the prongs to fit any guage shotgun and take the read out of the dial and then reset the dial setting to measure across the tip of the prongs. It is usually very close to dimensions found with a long mike, but much faster to get a reading.

Take it for what it is worth,

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote