New
Find
Notify
Tools

throat length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What should the throat length on my 280 Rem. measure? I seem to come up with an awfully long throat when I try to measure it using a cleaning rod and bullet (3.458 in. aol) The rifle is accurate ( .5- .75 inches at 100 yards.) I just wanted to get a little better. The head space is OK, no pressure signs up to max. published loads, the sholder does not need bumping back on full length re-sizing.
Thanks
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Depends on what bullet you are using and your seating depth. How did you measure it with a cleaning rod and a bullet?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
that sounds typical for a factory rifle, almost every factory gun I have owned the throat was longer than I could even seat bullets and still fit the magazine length, I think they do this for safety reasons in all situations. if the rifle has a sporter weight barrel I would be pretty happy with the accuracy you are getting. unless you have a high power scope with turret adjustments you can't really even use all the accuracy you are getting already. seating bullets close to or touching the lands helps with any out of line the chamber is cut, if the chamber is cut right this should be less of an issue. I measure distance to the lands in a couple ways, the first is with a stoney point tool, works great on factory guns,however tighter necked customs this isn't and option, in that case I use a fire formed case put the bullet into the case, squeeze with pliers if needed to gain enough neck tension, then I put this case in the chamber and close the bolt thus pushing the bullet to the right length. this menthod is tricky as you don't want too much neck tension or not enough. what I do is measure it 8 or 9 times to make sure I am getting the same readings.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a custom Springfield re- barreled to 280 Remington. I actually used both methods and they came out the same. I was using a 154 gr Hornady BT interbonds, which work great over RL22. By both methods, I ment that I measure from the bolt face and from a Bullet pushed against the rifleing and with a fire formed case with a bullet held in by neck tension.
I don't really trust myself with either, but since I was sitting around doing nothing with my broken wrist (from skate boarding with my 4 year old grand child) I thought I would see what I came up with. The next step is to order a Stoney Point and see what it says.
If I used anything close to the max I came up with, I would have to use it as a single shot. I do not know who built this rifle, but the other workmanship is very good. The barrel does not have a name on it, only the caliber 280 Remington.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The rifle might be custom but I would bet it was just chambered with a normal 280 reamer. Since the throat has to be able to handle the 175gr and maybe bigger I wouldn't doubt you couldn't reach the lands with a 154 and fit the magazine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. As long as it shoots well, I guess I am OK.
Thanks
Judge Sharpe

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I throat the majority of my chambes, for a specific bullet and seating depth, and as such, very few of my chamber reamers have integral throats. However, according to a print I have, the throat length for the .280 Remington is .179 min ~ .194 max.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about using the cleaning rod and bullet to determine throat length.
Starting in 1948, and since then, I just seat a bullet in the case very long, and insert it in the chamber, closing the bolt to seat the bullet hard up against the lands. I see no reason to buy expansive devices to accomplish the same thing.
Once I've recorded the overall length of the seated round, including the exact bullet I used, I subtract .010 and start testing. If that length is too long for the magazine, I go with the magazine length and don't worry about getting .010 off the lands.
Why .010 off the lands to start? That's what I used as a starting point when I shot centerfire benchrest competetively, and MOST times that was the optimum distance from the lands for best accuracy.
Why do I record the exact bullet I use to find the lands initially? Because the ogive of bullets differ, and different bullets will provide a different OAL when seated to the lands.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I'm not sure about using the cleaning rod and bullet to determine throat length.
Starting in 1948, and since then, I just seat a bullet in the case very long, and insert it in the chamber, closing the bolt to seat the bullet hard up against the lands. I see no reason to buy expansive devices to accomplish the same thing.

DO you have any idea how far you jam that bullet into the lands when you do that? With the 1.5 to 3 deg included angle on the leade, there is very little force required to push that bullet into the lands and give you a false reading.
Once I've recorded the overall length of the seated round, including the exact bullet I used, I subtract .010 and start testing. If that length is too long for the magazine, I go with the magazine length and don't worry about getting .010 off the lands.
Why .010 off the lands to start? That's what I used as a starting point when I shot centerfire benchrest competetively, and MOST times that was the optimum distance from the lands for best accuracy.
Why do I record the exact bullet I use to find the lands initially? Because the ogive of bullets differ, and different bullets will provide a different OAL when seated to the lands.

Don

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote