New
Find
Notify
Tools

what about polygonal rifling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can anyone shed light on why polygonal rifling is basically ignored by custom barrel makers, and all US commercial makers?
The advantages seem to be many; less bullet deformation, less fouling, slightly higher velocity etc. As for accuracy, I have 2 HK semi auto rifles, an HK 770 (308) and 630 (223).
Both give sub MOA groups with handloads.I know Lothar Walther offers custom polgonal rifled barrels in 308. Does anyone have any exprience with these?

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a few polygonal rifling Lothar Walther barrels and got sub MoA with all of them. Same for a colleague who really uses a lot of them year after year.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polygonal is très bon!

How are things under the Sarkozy regime mon frere?

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been installing the 11 twist 5P 308 barrels from Gary Schneider for the last couple of years. The LE agencies that I build for are very pleased with the accuracy and easy cleanup.
David Tubb has been shooting Gary's 6MM 8 twist 5P for years. I believe PacNor also makes Polygonal barrels.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Polygonal is très bon!

How are things under the Sarkozy regime mon frere?

Wait and see..

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My H&K P7 certainly stays clean and can't fault the accuracy. Only one I've ever had.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my cold hammer forged poly rifled steyrs with progressive twist seem to shoot accurate enough.
when you have a factory rifle that shoots as well as a steyr you start wondering how many people buy based on quality and how many buy based on what thier buddy shoots or they read in print.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
my cold hammer forged poly rifled steyrs with progressive twist seem to shoot accurate enough.
when you have a factory rifle that shoots as well as a steyr you start wondering how many people buy based on quality and how many buy based on what thier buddy shoots or they read in print.[/QUOT

It would suprise me extremly if steyr makes polygonal hammerforged barrels with progresive twist.
The most amazing task, would be pulling the carbide mandrell out of the progresive twist killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
might strip the threads er rifling.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 308 McMillman Match rifle with polygonal rifling. It is very accurate to 1000 yards, and very easy to clean.

I am suprised it is not more popular.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
when you have a factory rifle that shoots as well as a steyr you start wondering how many people buy based on quality and how many buy based on what thier buddy shoots or they read in print.[/QUOT

It would suprise me extremly if steyr makes polygonal hammerforged barrels with progresive twist.
The most amazing task, would be pulling the carbide mandrell out of the progresive twist killpc

Big Grin

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:

jørgen,

Steyrs are polygonal cold hammer forged with a progressive twist.
On the outside Big Grin

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC it was Steyr who invented the hammer forging machinery for making a barrel in the 1960s. Starting out with a drilled slug about 12" long and hammer forging it to size and length. They made lots of money selling the machinery to the other makers including Remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b.martins:
quote:

jørgen,

Steyrs are polygonal cold hammer forged with a progressive twist.
On the outside Big Grin

B.Martins

I ame not sure but i think it is the opposit (depressive? Wink) at least the twist is fastest at the chamber end

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
IIRC it was Steyr who invented the hammer forging machinery for making a barrel in the 1960s. Starting out with a drilled slug about 12" long and hammer forging it to size and length. They made lots of money selling the machinery to the other makers including Remington.

Perhaps Steyr produced and developed hammerforging mashinery.
But the hammerforgingprocess was invented by an employed of a wellknown german painter with a caracteristic mustace Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a steyr in 308 which does shoot amazingly well for a una;tered factory rifle, and is very easy to clean. It does have a "twist" on the OUTSIDE of the barrel, but i suspect this is largely cosmetic (a la barrel flutes etc). I know of only a single production arm with a progressive or gain twist barrel, and that is S&W's 460 mag handgun. Does anyone know of ANY gain twist sporting rifles? It seems like a good idea, must be hard to manufacture?

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote