Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

questions
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a few questions concerning gunsmithing for accuracy. I know nothing about bedding an action or barrel, or how to check to see if the bolt lugs are contacting the reciever evenly, etc. I'd like to glass bed the stock on my 308 as it was warped pretty badly when I checked it before deer season last year. I did a quick sanding job and removed the pressure from the barrel, but I'd like to seal the stock to keep this from happening again. I'd also like to replace the trigger on my Ruger 22-250 and maybe do some other simple things to help accuracy, but I'm kind of stumped on what brand of trigger to get. I want something easily adjustable, but I want it to be safe as well.

Can anyone give me any recommendations? I really hate to pay someone to do things I can probably do myself, and I really don't like the local 'smiths anyway.

Posts: 5 | Location: Denison TX | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Go to the library and get some books on gunsmithing.

The wood stock should be sealed with poly to keep moisture out.

If your handy you can try to do the Ruger trigger yourself. Lighten the spring and stone some of the sear back just a little. Since it's a varmint rifle you really don't need an adjustable trigger, just a crisp, lighter one. Backlash can be eliminated with a dab of epoxy.

I read that Timmney makes a trigger for the Ruger if you don't want to try yourself. They were always good triggers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
Go to the library and get some books on gunsmithing.

The wood stock should be sealed with poly to keep moisture out.

If your handy you can try to do the Ruger trigger yourself. Lighten the spring and stone some of the sear back just a little. Since it's a varmint rifle you really don't need an adjustable trigger, just a crisp, lighter one. Backlash can be eliminated with a dab of epoxy.

I read that Timmney makes a trigger for the Ruger if you don't want to try yourself. They were always good triggers.

A trip to the library is a good idea. Hopefully learn how foolhardy it is to start lightening springs and honing "sears".

What is backlash and how does epoxy eliminate it?

Once you've read a few books glass bed your rifle. The epoxy will seal your barrel channel.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote