THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Tricks no one told me about bedding (but I wish they had)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tricks no one told me about bedding (but I wish they had)
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Placing the barreled action and stock in direct sunlight on a warm day will practically eliminate bubbles/voids in the bedding job.

A router table and a flush-trim bit will make perfect corners around the magazine well and trigger opening after the stock is bedded. Set the bit to the correct height, turn the stock upside down and work the bit around the inside of both openings.

I learned both the hard way... now you don't have to. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
can you explain the router bit trick in a bit more detail? i'm not quite getting it...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Not my stock, but the results are the same.

This is much faster and more accurate than trying to clean it up with a file and sandpaper. thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i see! very nice!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the trick of good bedding was to inlet the action to the wood so close that they only place a little bedding compound was needed was behind the recoil lug.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I always thought the trick of good bedding was to inlet the action to the wood so close that they only place a little bedding compound was needed was behind the recoil lug.

I guess it depend on what you are building, most target rifles are full action bedded and the barrel floated for extreme accuracy. However, classic gunsmithing calls for tight wood to metal fit, which can lead to some accuracy problems with rubbing and barrel vibrations.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote