New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger no.1 info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my hands on a used Ruger no.1 V in 22-250. I understand that there are more than one model depending on the trigger adjustment set up. This one has two Allen set screws in the bottom of the trigger. My questions are: How to adjust the trigger properly and any info or web sites on accurizing the no.1. As it is it groups about 1" but should be capable of more as it is in very good shape.
Thanks for any info.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Kalispell>
posted
According to what I have read you have a new version trigger that is not very good, I have the same one. Am in the process of tweaking mine. I have a #1K which is thw new stainlees in 7mmSTW. I have installed the Hick's accurizer available from Brownell's. It helped the gun shoot consistent groups but not really tighten them. My would shoot around .5 then go to over an inch, mine like a clean barrel no more than 12 shots. There is a website called RVB Precision Shooting that has a lot of good info. I get to it by going to the link section of this site then going to small calibers link site and then you will find a site called Roy's precision ??.. I just found it and it has about three pages of info you can print out.
I asked around for a #1 smith and got an e-mail for a guy in South Carolina CPRifles@aol.com, do not know if this works just picked up the message.
Hope this helps and good luck
Wayne

<Deadmarsh>
posted
The late model Ruger triggers cannot be adjusted (lawyer triggers) -- those allen scews do nothing for sear adjustment which is the key to trigger adjustment...

Do yourself a favor and purchase a Moyer aftermarket trigger for around $50.00...they are an exact copy of the original Ruger trigger and are built well...simple install with a small amount of filing to do on the safety locking arm (no big deal) just follow the instructions to the letter...a 1 hour job...good luck

Dead

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
September 2000 issue of "Rifle" had a bunch of information on accurizing the No. 1.

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<freezerman>
posted
"Rifle" magazine did have a good article.
I have a ruger no.1 in 22/250 as well, mine is able to get 3/4" groups at 100yds with Rem. 55gr.SPS factory ammo. I haven't been able to work up a hand load yet though.
Anyway the article gave some info on installing a set screw under the barrel to stop the forearm from touching the barrel. Also it got into how to glass bed the rifle. If you can find the issue it should help a lot.