THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Winchester Model 70 magazine?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a difference in lenght between Model 70 push feed compared to Model 70 CRF as far as the follower and magazine go. Because I have a .338WM in a Sporter Model 70(push feed) and I can't load the shell long enough to get the bullet close to the riflings.

I'm thinking about buying another Model 70 in 338 WM crf if I can get the cartridge longer and closer to the riflings.

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The magazine boxes and follower are the same length between the "push feed" and the new CRF actions. It is very common to not be able to load to the lands on factory actions and barrels. Same problems with WBY calibers. All one can do is load to the box length and call it good. Sometimes loading to the lands won't always increase accuracy but will spike pressures.

Posts: 4 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
check and make sure that there isn't a small filler block in the back of the magazine well...that's the only differnce betweeen my .375h&h and .458 win mag...both are push feed m70's...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
Is there a difference in lenght between Model 70 push feed compared to Model 70 CRF as far as the follower and magazine go. Because I have a .338WM in a Sporter Model 70(push feed) and I can't load the shell long enough to get the bullet close to the riflings.

I'm thinking about buying another Model 70 in 338 WM crf if I can get the cartridge longer and closer to the riflings.

Thanks

Steve

Hardly uncommon and has more to do with throat dimensions than mag box configuration. Does it not shoot the way it is?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote