New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechinests. Weaver side mount modifications
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a side mount rifle ,Rem mod 30, I bought another Weaver ring mount for it. Problem is a newer scope will not work.

There is no clearence for the windage/elevation "boss" on new scopes like a leupold .

This new ring mount I have might not be like what weaver is selling presently. I called weaver for tech support which aparently is a joke.No help.

Is it possible to mechine this aluminum mount to clear the band around the 1" scope tube that houses the windage/elevation dials?

Picture of mount
http://www.weaver-mounts.com/images/detachside.jpg

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I think I know what you are talking about, the answer is yes. I had to do one a while back so it would clear those turrets. The problem is, you will have to get the mount re-anodized.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim , Its hard to explain , but simple. The mount is a curved "plain" that touches the 1" tupe the whole length of the mount with no releif for the center of a scope where the scope is over 1" diameter at the turents.

Is it neccessary to re-anodize it ? Is that just for the black color ?

I have another weaver side mount coming in the mail from midway. It might be a newer design with a relief for the turents or might not.

Another Question . The base has 4 holes for mounting. Problem is the center 2 holes dont line up with my tapped holes in the reciever. And to re drill the mount to match the reciever, When chamfering for the screw heads will over lap with the origanal hole chamfer. They would be very close together.

Is drilling and chamfering doable with the chamfer overlap?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this way back when with a die grinder; just left it white. The newer mounts have clearance and I think you can buy just the removable portion. About the holes, can you just move the base fwd/back and drill a new set of holes with out the overlap?
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cgbach.. Do you mean a hand held die grinder? Yea . I could hog it out by hand but it would look like shit.

Far as the base holes. No I cant move it foward or back. Im replaceing a real old side mount(old take the scope apart and slide it in kind) on a old custom rifle.

posted Hide Post
Weaver made 4 different side mounts that I know of. They made the standard low side mount[no clearance for win & elev. boss],standard high mount [clearance for the boss], long side mount[no clearance] and high long side mount[ with clearance]. I use all 4 off them on different rifles I own. I have one of the high long mounts unused at this time. As for the screw holes, I would just drill new holes away from the others.

Posts: 16 | Location: CO. U.S.A. | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Browser900, I have a new high mount(short side) comming in the mail from midway. The one I just got off ebay must be the low,short(no clearance).

The rifle came with looks like a real old weaver side mount that is one piece, and the rings dont seperate. You have to take a old weaver scope apart and slide it in the rings.

The newer bases have a differnt inside screw spaceing than what came on the rifle. The outer 2 holes are the same.
I dont want to drill anymore holes in the rifle reciever. Better to redrill a $10 mount base. I can use my original base as a jig to drill the holes.