New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 788 .30-30 to .30-30AI?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will it work to convert a M788 Rem to a .30-30AI as far as feeding issues? I know it will work as a single shot but I want it to feed from the magazine. I'm just thinking of having a new barrel installed on my 788 running the same factory contour but using the AI chambering. Anyone done this to one of these old Remington rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why have a new barrel put on, is the old one bad? The straightline feed of a 788 mag should be no problem. If you are worried I can send you some imp cases and you can try them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Why have a new barrel put on, is the old one bad? The straightline feed of a 788 mag should be no problem. If you are worried I can send you some imp cases and you can try them.

I don't know why the new barrel. I guess I just thought I could put it back on at a later date if these rifles saw a surge in price. They already demand a premium for the 788's on GB and other auction sites. I guess they have a cult following. Wink

I just lucked into this one at a reasonable price. Plus it came with a Leupold M8 4x on it. Sending you a PM about getting som imp cases to try. Thanks!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent back. You may have a point with keeping the original barrel. I have found case life quite good when kept at levergun pressures, no doubt you could use them up faster if pushed from a 788. I have 788's in 222, .308 and 22/250 and havent found the rear lugs cause undo case stretch within reasonable pressure ranges. But the .375 brass is tougher, I use them for my 25/35 imp and they last a long time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:

I don't know why the new barrel. I guess I just thought I could put it back on at a later date if these rifles saw a surge in price. They already demand a premium for the 788's on GB and other auction sites. I guess they have a cult following. Wink

I just lucked into this one at a reasonable price. Plus it came with a Leupold M8 4x on it. Sending you a PM about getting som imp cases to try. Thanks!!!

I wouldn't touch the original. The .30-.30 is one of the most rare. There is indeed a cult following and you will destroy any collector value with the re-chamber. If you need more "juice" then use the money you will lose and get one in .308 Win.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:

I wouldn't touch the original. The .30-.30 is one of the most rare. There is indeed a cult following and you will destroy any collector value with the re-chamber. If you need more "juice" then use the money you will lose and get one in .308 Win.

I'm not going to re-chamber the barrel. I'll just buy a new one if I can get the cases to feed. I've just wanted to mess with the .30-30AI and I've wanted to do it on a bolt action. That way I can still restore the rifle to original. Now if I can just find another in .44 Mag! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about I swap you a 308 bolt for that 30-30 bolt, even up and I would do the rebarrel for you, something on a wildcat rimmed 30-30 AI?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
How about I swap you a 308 bolt for that 30-30 bolt, even up and I would do the rebarrel for you, something on a wildcat rimmed 30-30 AI?

This isn't an anytime soon project. I'll shoot it as a regular .30-30 for awhile. I'll let you know if I change my mind though.